Glossary of African American Literature Test
Other Decks By This User
- What did Booker T. Washington write?
- "The Atlanta Compromise"
- What did WEB Dubois write?
- "The Souls of Black Folk" Ch 3
- What was WEB Dubois topic in Ch 3?
- criticism of BT Washington's views
- What did Langston Hughes write? Famous ex?
- assorted poems aimed at bettering the condition of black in USA; Mother to Son
- What did Claude McKay write?
- assorted poems
- What did Richard Wright write?
- "Black Boy"
- What is Claude McKay's famous poem called?
- "If We Must Die"
- When did Booker T Washington live? ethnicity? where? living condition?
- 1856-1915; mulatto; VA; slave
- What is "The Atlanta Compromise"'s main goal?
- want friendship b/w the races, not equal. Will live in separate societies with common economy.
- What are Washington's major achievements in life?
- 1st prinicipal of Tuskegee Institute, urged blacks to uplift themselves w/ education
- When did WEB Dubois live? Ethnicity? Educated where? Job?
- 1868-1963, mulatto (but didn't realize he was diff. for a long time); Fisk, Harvard, U of Berlin; professor at Atlanta U
- Dubois Published where?
- "The Crisis"
- Dubois's major achievements? Political ass?
- formed NAACP; joined Communist party
- What is Dubois' thought on Washington? Compares Wash. to whom?
- Washington's wrongly believes submission and silence for blacks is ok; to Jefferson Davis
- Claude McKay lived when? where was he born? when did he start writing? educated where?
- 1890-1948; Jamaica; age 10; Kansas State College
- Why did McKay come to US? what did he experience in US?
- wanted to attend Tuskegee Institute; first experience of racism
- When did McKay become a US citizen?
- When did Hurston live? Where was Zora Neale Hurston born? How is it unique? father's job? issue with mom? Educated where?
- 1891-1960; Eatonville, FL; all-black town; He- baptist preacher not good w/ kids; she- died and kids were distributed to relatives; studied at Howard U
- What was one of Hurston's major interests?
- black folk tradititon
- What did Langston Hughes think about Hurston's writing?
- that she was writing too much about the bad of blacks instead of "uplifting" the race
- What's Zo<ra Neale Hurston's most celebrated book?
- "Their Eyes Were Watching God"
- When did Langston Hughes live? Where? Educated (kinda) where?
- 1902-1967; Joplin, MO and Laurence, KS (là w/ grandmama); Columbia U
- Hughes published in what two magazines? created what kind of lit? involved politically how?
- "Crisis" and "Opportunity"; edited african american anthologies; communist sympathizer
- Red Scare and Langston Hughes?
- put on Red Scare list mid 1950s and wasn't allowed to leave country until taken off list in 1959.
- What did Langston Hughes write?
- "I, Too", "Silhouette", "Mulatto", "Visitors to the Black Belt"
- When did Richard Wright live? Where grew up? Family life?
- 1908-1960?; Memphis, TN ; dad left, mom so poor had to send kids to orphanage to live
- Wright's political affiliation? major literary works (2)? reporter for whom? eventually settled where?
- Communist, "Black Boy" and "Native Son", "Communist Daily", France (felt accepted there)
- SKIM STORIES!!!!!!
- SKIM POEMS!!!!
You must Login or Register to add cards