Glossary of Abnormal Psychology - Excelsior
Other Decks By This User
- Galen(131-201 AD) was one of the first to believe that
- physical disorders could have psychological causes.
- Mismer believed that many mental diseases developed from
- obstruction of animal magnetism.
- Charcot used hypnosis for the purpose of
- distinguishing between convulsions caused by hysteria and those caused by epilepsy.
- Psychiatric hospitals began as shelters and prisons for
- the homeless, the poor, and the insane.
- The most widely used psychological test is the
- the most frequently used test in the mental health fields. This assessment or test helps identify personal, social, and behavioral problems in psychiatric patients. This test helps provide relevant information to aid in problem identification, diagnosis,
- Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI)
- an individual test that does not require reading or writing. Verbal subtests are oral questions without time limits except for Arithmetic. Performance subtests are nonverbal problems, all of which are timed and some of which allow bonus points for extra
- Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children, WISC
- a method of psychological evaluation. It is a projective test associated with the Freudian school of thought. Psychologists use this test to try to probe the unconscious minds of their patients.
- Rorschach inkblot test
- The MMPI is able to provide __________ based on data collected on eight clinical scales.
- a profile
- The MMPI works by matching a respondent’s answers to
- answers of people with known characteristics.
- The TAT has been used in many different kinds of testing situations including
- assessment of achievement.
- a psychological test developed by the American psychologist Henry A. Murray. It uses a standard series of provocative yet ambiguous pictures about which the subject must tell a story. Each story is carefully analyzed to uncover underlying needs, attitude
- Thematic Apperception Test (TAT)
- A collection of symptoms that occur together make up
- a syndrome.
- You take an assessment test one week, and then you are asked to take it again a month later. This is likely an example of testing
- test-retest reliability.
- The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM) was approved by
- the American Psychiatric Association.
You must Login or Register to add cards