Glossary of ADRENAL HORMONE DRUGS
Other Decks By This User
- inhibits synthesis of adrenal steroids
- promotes reabsorption of sodium and enhanced secretion of potassium, used for replacement therapy
- involved w/Na fluid balance
- HOW ARE CORTICOSTEROIDS CLASSIFIED?
- classified as short, intermediate or long acting
- HOW DO CORTICOSTERIODS DIFFER?
- IN POTENCY, ONSET & DURATION
- WHAT CLASSIFICATION OF DRUG IS PREDNISONE?
- INTERMEDIATE ACTING
- WHAT IS PREDNISONE USED FOR?
- replacement therapy (adrenal insufficiency
- Pharmacologic Actions of Glucocorticoids?
- Anti-inflammatory action
Maintenance of normal blood pressure
Carbohydrate and protein metabolism
Thymolytic, lympholytic, and eosinopenic actions
Central nervous system
- inhibit incorporation of iodide during the process of T3/T4 synthesis
- Antithyroid Agents
- Levothyroxine: synthetic T3
Iodine: high concentrations decrease the synthesis of T3 and T4
Radioactive Iodide: particle emissions destroys tissue, used for hyperthyroidism
- how were tyroid preparations initially derived?
- pigs & cow
- inhibit bone resorption, Paget's Disease (abnormal bone growth) used for hyperparathyroid hormone levels
- remember important for calcium uptake to bone
- remember PTH decreases body calcium
- what does the parthyroid decrease in the body?
- aka ADH, used to treat diabetes insipidus, extreme polyuria, deficiency of ADH
- Octreotide (Sandostatin)
- somatostatin analog, inhibits GH, used to treat GH excess
- Somatropin (various trade names)
- identical to GH, same indication
- Somatrem (Protropin)
- derivative of GH, used to treat GH deficiency
- what 4 types of cells does the islets of lanagerhans contain?
- islets of langerhans contain several types of cells:
alpha: secrete glucagon, stimulates production of glucose
in the liver
beta: secrete insulin, number of actions including uptake
of glucose by various tissues
delta: secrete somatostatin, reduce absorption of food
gamma: peptide with unknown function
You must Login or Register to add cards