Glossary of 7. Glucose methods
Other Decks By This User
- What are 3 types of methods for blood glucose measurement?
- 1. Copper reduction
2. Ferric reduction
- What are 4 different copper reduction methods?
- 1. Folin-Wu
- What are the 2 types of enzymatic glucose methods?
- 1. Glucose oxidase
- What is the principle of the hexokinase method?
- -Glucose + ATP is converted to G6P and ADP by hexokinase
-G6P and NAD+ are converted to 6-PG and NADH by G6P-dehydrogenase.
- What is the principle of the glucose oxidase method?
- -Glucose + O2 is converted to Gluconic acid and Peroxide by glucose oxidase.
-Peroxide + Red dye produces oxidized dye and water.
- What types of blood specimens are drawn for glucose tests?
- 1. Fasting
2. 2-hr post prandial
3. Oral glucose tolerance OGTT
- Is OGTT only for gestational diabetes?
- no; also done for nonpregnant adults.
- Why would a OGTT be done on a nonpregnant adult?
- -If classic DM symptoms
-Elevated Fasting glucose on >1 occasion
-Sustained glucose elevation throughout OGTT
- What 2 analytes in urine especially suggest DM?
- Which is a more specific method; hexokinase or glucose oxidase? Why?
- Glu oxidase; it uses a mutarotase to put all the glucose in the B-glucose form.
You must Login or Register to add cards