Glossary of 6th Grade Semester Exam
Other Decks By This User
- Geographers study:
- how the Earth and its people affect each other.
- Two basic questions geographers ask:
- 1. Where are things located?
2. Why are they there?
- absolute location
- latitude and longitude
- Why are there distortions in maps of the earth?
- Maps are flat and the earth is round.
- The earth's tilt on its axis results in
- Why are globes more accurate than maps?
- Globes are round and can show true shapes of continents and oceans.
- any material from the earth that humans can use to meet their needs
- natural resource
- The middle latitudes usually have what type of climates?
- Wind and water work together to keep the earth from:
- examples of landforms:
- plateaus, plains, mountains, rifts, peninsulas
- Why did early people usually settle near waterways?
- Waterways can be used for trade and travel
- Culture includes:
- behaviors, occupations, beliefs, and traditions
- examples of economies:
- communism, socialism, capitalism, traditional
- examples of government:
- monarchy, democracy, communism, dictatorship
- Why does more than 80% of the world's people live in Asia, Europe, and North America?
- These continents have sources of fresh water.
- What two things have resulted in a large increase in the world's population?
- 1. increased food supply
2. better medical care
- three factors that influence the climates of Canada and the U.S.
- 1. mountains
- Theory: Native Americans migrated from
- Asia (land bridge between Russia and Alaska)
- Why did the U.S. adopt its Constitution?
- to set up a strong central government
- The Louisiana Purchase cost 15 million U.S. smackers and:
- doubled the size of the country.
- What caused the Cold War?
- The U.S. feared the Soviet Union was trying to spread Communism.
- example of cultural exchange during the settlement of North America:
- Spanish explorers brought horses from Europe.
- Canada has 2 national languages
- English and French
- one of the things guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution
- freedom of religion
- Caribbean Islands
- Some are tops of underwater mountains; some are made from skeletons of tiny sea animals
- Where is the world's largest tropical rain forest?
- Amazon River Basin
- Compare population densities of Russia and Europe.
- Europe: greater than most of the world
Russia: less than most of the world
- The Ancient Romans gave us:
- an organized system of written laws (Roman Law)
- a system for organizing society during the Middle Ages
- an important result of the Industrial Revolution
- growth of cities
- How did Alexander the Great spread Greek culture?
- He conquered so many different lands and peoples.
- Industrial Revolution (1800's)
- the change from producing goods by hand to producing them on machines
- Why is Africa called the "plateau continent"?
- Much of the land of the continent's elevation is high.
- Three factors which affect Africa's climate:
- 1. location near the equator
3. nearness to bodies of water
- On what is most of Africa's economy based?
- compass rose
- a map feature that shows the four cardinal directions
- a person who moves to and settles in a new country
- life expectancy
- the average number of years a person is expected to live
- a system for producing, distributing, and consuming goods
- the height of land above sea level
You must Login or Register to add cards