Glossary of 6th Grade Science Vocab Chpt 6
Other Decks By This User
- A weak spot in the crust where magma has come to the surface.
- The molten mixture of rock-forming substances, gases, and water that makes up part of Earth's mantle.
- Magma that reaches the surface;also the rock formed when liquid lava hardens.
- A major belt of volcanoes that rim the Pacific Ocean.
- Ring of Fire
- A string of islands formed by the volcanoes along a deep ocean trench.
- island arc
- An area where magma from deep within the mantle melts through the crust above it.
- hot spot
- The pocket beneath a volcano where magma collects.
- magma chamber
- A long tube through which magma moves from the magma chamber to Earth's surface.
- The opening through which molten rock and gas leave a volcano.
- The area covered by lava as it pours out of a volcano's vent.
- lava flow
- A bowl-shaped area that forms around a volcano's central opening. A round pit on the moon's surface.
- A material that is formed from the elements oxygen and silicon; silica is found in magma.
- A hot, fast-moving type of lava that hardens to form smooth, ropelike coils.
- A slow-moving type of lava that hardens to form rough chunks;cooler than pahoehoe.
- The expulsion of ash, cinders, bombs, and gases during an explosive volcanic eruption.
- pyroclastic flow
You must Login or Register to add cards