Glossary of 6. Whole wheat, onions, garlic and soya beans
Other Decks By This User
- What are the therapeutic benefits of whole wheat?
- 1) complex carbs
2) rich in fibre
3) wheat germ richest source of Vitamin E
4) source of vitamins and minerals important to metabolic function
5) nourishing food
- What are the protective phytochemical compounds found in wheat?
- 1) Lignans - assist male and female hormone metabolism
3) vitamin E
- What are the therapeutic benefits of onions?
- 1) Decreases phleghm, inflammation (catarrh)
2) lowers blood pressure, thins blood, inhibits clotting
3) raw onion boosts beneficial HDL cholesterol
4) kills bacteria
5) relieves bronchial asthma
6) inhibits growth of cancer cells
- What are the protective phytochemical compounds found in onions?
- 1) cruciferous indoles (prevent breast cancer)
2) ellagic acid (anticarcinogenic)
3) coumarins (anticarcinogenic, blood thinner (protective against CVD)
4) sulphur compounds (anticarcinogenic, blood thinners, inhibit cholesterol synthesis)
- What are the therapeutic benefits of garlic?
- 1) anticarcinogenic
2) blood thinner (anti-CVD), reduces blood pressure
3) reduces blood cholesterol
4) stimulates immune system
5) acts as expectorant and decongestant
6) nature's antiobiotic
- What are the protective phytochemical compounds found in garlic?
- 33 sulphur compounds including allicin (in raw crushed garlic)
- What are the therapeutic benefits of soya beans?
- 1) cardiovascular benefits
- regulate blood triglycerides
- increases HDL
- decreases oxidised LDL
- blood thinner
2) phytoestrogens regulate oestrogen activity, restoring balance when oestrogen is low, and decreasing overload symptoms
3) improve bone mineral density
6) protein and carb content regulates blood sugar levels
7) prevents gallstones
- What are the protective phytochemical compounds found in soya beans?
- 1) phytoestrogens
2) isoflavones (anticarcinogenic)
3) protease inhibitors (universal anticarcinogens)
4) phytic acid - anticarcinogenic, but can bind some minerals
- Explain the advantages of rotating foods and eating a varied diet?
- 1) may prevent sensitivities from developing
2) encourages variety, which allows for a greater range of nutrients
- What are the advantages of whole foods?
- 1) complex carbs
3) fibre part of grains contains phytochemicals called lignans
4) more vitamins and minerals
5) phytic acid content not a problem if you eat a variety of other foods, esp vegies.
You must Login or Register to add cards