Glossary of 5th Grade Study Guide - 5th Six Weeks
Other Decks By This User
- Why did Britain place taxes on the colonists?
- Britain needed money to support their armies.
- What effect did the taxes have on the colonists as a whole?
- The taxes made the colonists begin to unite as Americans.
- Name the organizer of the Sons of Liberty.
- Samuel Adams
- What caused the British to impose the Intolerable Acts?
- The colonists dumped a shipment of tea into Boston Harbor to protest the tax.
- Describe a Patriot.
- A Patriot was a colonist who opposed British rule of the colonies.
- Place the following in order:
- ___Battle of Concord
___Paul Revere is captured
___Battle of Lexington
___British retreat to Boston
- Why did Thomas Paines' little booklet "Common Sense" do so much for the Patriot cause?
- The booklet was written in an easy to understand style.
- What is the main argument of the Declaration of Independence?
- People are born with rights which cannot be taken away.
- The Americans won the Battle of Saratoga. How did that affect the war?
- It convinced the French to help the Americans.
- What did Washington use to defeat the British at Yorktown?
- The French navy arrived in the harbor to help against the British.
- What was the result of the American victory at Yorktown?
- The Revolutionary War ended after the British surrendered.
- What did the states want the Articles of Confederation to do for them?
- The states wanted to keep their freedom and independence and join a league of friendship.
- Why did Daniel Shays and the other farmers rebel?
- Massachusetts was making it hard on farmers by making them pay property taxes.
- What order came as a result of the Northwest Ordinance of 1787?
- The Northwest Territory was to be divided into smaller territories.
- Name the original purpose of the Constitutional Convention.
- The delegates wanted to revise the Articles of Confederation.
- Describe the Great Compromise during the Constitutional Convention.
- Congress has two "houses"
Senate - equal representation
House of Rep. - # based on population
- Name one goal stated in the Preamble to the Constitution.
- Protect liberty of the people.
- Name the group who wanted a strong national government.
- Describe the Antifederalists.
- They were not happy with the Constitution.
- Describe the Bill of Rights.
- The Bill of Rights is ten Constitutional amendments specifying freedoms of the people.
- The executive branch has several departments. The heads of these departments are called the ___________.
- Describe the job of the Cabinet.
- The Cabinet advises the President.
- What did Pierre L'Enfant have to do with Washington, D.C.?
- George Washington hired him to design the new capital city.
You must Login or Register to add cards