Glossary of 5. Polycythemia Vera
Other Decks By This User
- What doe polycythemia mean?
- increased RBCs only
- what does polycythemia vera mean?
- increased ALL cells - panmyelosis
- what are 2 forms of polycythemia?
- 1. Relative
- what is relative polycythemia?
- a relative increased in RBCs secondary to an absolute decreased blood volume.
- what causes relative polycyth?
- Dehydration or stress erythrocytosis.
- what is absolute erythrocytosis?
- a true increase in RBC
- What is secondary polycyth stimulated by?
- EPO stimulating erythroid precursors.
- What is the disease mechanism that occurs in 2ndary polycyth?
- O2 supply to kidneys decreased; causes EPO production to increase, thus RBC production.
- Why is there O2 deficiency in the first place?
- 1. High altitude
2. heart/lung problems
3. decr. blood volume, [Hb], O2 affinity
2. Disease state
- what 3 Hb abnormalities decrease its O2 affinity?
- 1. Hb Chesapeake/Little Rock
- which 5 disease states can cause o2 hypoxia?
- 1. renal ischemia
2. renal artery stenosis
3. renal cysts
5. kidney/liver tumors
- In general, what kind of problem is Primary Polycythemia?
- a myeloproliferative disorder involving all cell lines.
You must Login or Register to add cards