Glossary of 20th Century American History - part 2
Other Decks By This User
- Who were the men in the Big 3?
- Woodrow Wilson
David Lloyde George
- What was the treaty of the Big 3?
- Treaty of Versailles
- List 8 parts of the Treaty of Versailles
- 1. Article 231 (War Guilt Clause)
3. German army was almost eliminated
4. German airforce was elimintated
5. German navy was almost eliminated
6. League of Nations
8. Austria-Hungary split up
- What is article 231?
- The War-Guilt Clause
- What does the War Guilt Clause state?
- Germany alone is responsible for starting the war
- What part of Germany was de-militarized?
- What was Austria-Hungary split up into?
- How much of the senate must approve for a treaty to be ratified?
- What committee must approve a treaty?>
- Senate's Foreign Relations Committee
- Who was the chairman of the Senate's foreign relations committee?
- Henry Cabot Lodge
- How did Wilson publicize the treaty?
- Traveling by train and giving speeches
- What did the Foreign Relations Committee do with the treaty?
- Made about 20 changes
- What was the first vote on the revised treaty?
- It was defeated because wilson didn't like it
- What was the second vote on the original treaty?
- It was defeated because not enought people voted for it
- What was the biggest problem America had with the Treaty of Versailles?
- League of Nations
- Why didn't the US like the Leauge of Nations?
- Thought it was giving up our sovereignty
- Did the US join the league of nations as it was being created?
- What age group did the Spanish Influenza Epidemic kill?
- What happens with the Spanish Influenza?
- Body produces too many fluids
- Why was there a boom time in the twenties?
- European economy was bad
- What is consumerism?
- The ability to purchase goods that are not necessary for survival
- What was the change in advertising?
- Short description of the product to images
- Who did magazins appeal to?
- Those who lived a fast-paced life
- Before magazines, where did the majority of the news come from?
- radio or newspaper
- Who created Time Magazine?
- Henry Luce
- What magazine put the news into one format and condensed books?
- Reader's Digest
- What was the big change in the movie industry?
- Addition of sound
- What was used in movies before sound?
- What were movies called in the twenties?
- What was the first "talkie" and who starred?
- "The Jazz Singer" starring Al Jolson
- Who was the biggest movie star of the twenties?
- Rudolf Valentino
- Why was Rudolph Valentino a big movie star?
- He bared his chest on screen
- What is the "Trial of the Century"?
- Scope's monkey Trial
- What law restricted the teaching of anything other than Divine creation?
- The Butler Law
- What scientist hypothosized evolution?
- Charles Darwin
- What is the ACLU?
- American Civil Liberties Union
- What did the ACLU do about the butler law?
- Looked for someone who was willing to break it
- What did the ACLU claim the Bulter law was a violation of?
- The First Amendment
- What teacher did the ACLU find?
- John Scopes
- Where did the Scope's Monkey Trial take place?
- Dayton, TN
- How long did the Scope's Monkey trial last?
- 12 days
- Who was the lawyer provided by the ACLU?
- Clarence Darrow
- Who was the prosecuting lawyer?
- William Jennings Bryant
- What was the conviction of Scopes?
- What was Scopes' punishment?
- $100 fine, paid by the ACLU
- What was the Lost Generation dissolusioned about?
- The war
- Who coined the term Lost Generation?
- Gertrude Stein
- Who were four writers of the Lost Generation?
- Ernest Hemmingway
H. L. Mencken
F. Scott Fitzgerald
- What did Ernest Hemmingway write?
- "A Farewell to Arms," about an American officer who deserts the Army
- What magazine was H. L. Mencken the editor for?
- The Smart Set
- What did Mencken thing of religion?
- They are false, for weak-minded
- What did Mencken think of the American people?
- Too caught up in consumerism
- Where was Sinclair Lewis born>
- Sauk Centre, Minnesota
- What did Sinclair Lewis write?
- "Main Street" about small-town America
- What did Sinclair Lewis say American's small towns were filled with?
- Small-minded people
- What did F. Scott Fitzgerald write?
- The Great Gatsby
- What were the two manifestations of Anti-Immigrant Sentiments?
- Ku Klux Klan
- What were the tratitional enemies of the KKK?
- Where did the KKK begin?
- Stone mountain, Georgia
- Why did the KKK dislike Immigrants?
- 1. Competition for jobs
- How did the KKK try to intimidate their enemies?
- 1. Burning crosses
2. Acts of violence
3. Getting them fired
- Who was the head of the KKK in Indiana?
- David Stephenson
- Who was David Stephenson's secratary?
- Madge Oberholtzer
- What happened to Madge Oberholtzer?
- Committed suicide because David tried again
- What happend to Stephenson?
- he was convicted of kidnapping, rape and murder
- The conviction of David Stephenson was what to KKK memebers?
- A wakeup call
- What law was passed against Immigrants?
- National Origins Act
- What did the National Origins Act state?
- Real Americans were from Western Europe
Banned immigration from East Asia
- What were the main causes of the Great Depression?
- 1. Stock Market Crash
2. Run on banks
3. Failure of the Ag economy
4. Snowball effect
5. Cynical nature of the economy
- What is the day called that the stock market crashed?
- Black Tuesday
- Why did banks fail?
- 1. Had money invested in the stock market
2. Run on banks
3. Farmers went bankrupt, couldn't pay back loans
- What caused a global depression?
- Banks called in loans
Loans from American banks had been given to Germany
- Where was the Dust Bowl?
- Farmland from Texas to North Dakota
- Why did the farmland in the dust bowl turn to dust?
- Record high heat, record low rainfall
You must Login or Register to add cards