Glossary of 20Japan Economics Unit Part 1
Other Decks By This User
- Japan is an archipelago. An archipelago is ___?
- A chain of islands.
- Japan has only 14% arable land. Arable land is ____?
- Good for farming.
- Japanese in their early history lived in separate clans because they were isolated from each other by what natural barrier?
- Mountains. Japan is 75% mountainous.
- 200 of these are active in Japan.
- What happens in Japan because it is on the Ring of Fire (Pacific Rim)?
- Japanese people live mainly along these areas.
- Crowded coastal plains.
- Name two effects of Japan's high population density?
- Most Japanese are urbanized (live in cities); real estate prices in Japan are astronomical; homes are very small.
- Name some Japanese arts that are related to their love of nature (Shinto or Buddhist).
- Tea Ceremony, Paper folding (Origami), Flower Arranging (Ikebana) and Landscape Gardening, Zen Rock Gardens, Landscape Painting, Woodblock Painting, Theater (Kabuki and Noh), music.
- What influence does living on islands in the Pacific Ocean have on Japan?
- It was isolated for centuries.
It was influenced by its closest neighbors, Korea and China.
Fishing and Shipping are necessities.
It is called the Land of the Rising Sun.
- What is the most important scarcity that influenced Japan's economic development?
- A scarcity of NATURAL RESOURCES.
or ENERGY RESOURCES.
- From north to south, what are the four major Japanese islands?
- Hokkaido, Honshu, Shikoku, and Kyushu.
- What is the length of the four main islands of Japan in terms of U.S. coastline?
- The northern island is about where Bangor Maine is; the southern islands are about where Jacksonville, Florida is; but Hokkaido is colder and Kyushu/Shikoku are warmer because of cold and warm ocean currents.
- What is a tsunami?
- Tidal Wave.
- What two belief systems of China influenced Japanese early culture?
- (1) Confucianism (family and social harmony)
(2) Buddhism (blended with Daoist ideas to form Zen Buddhism).
- What is the name for the Japanese adaption of Chinese character writing?
- Kanji. The Japanese borrowed the Chinese WRITTEN language and adapted it for their very different spoken language.
- What is the native religion of Japan?
- What is the Shinto name for nature spirits or gods/goddesses?
- Where do you find Shinto shrines in Japan?
- Office, home, roadside, temple - everywhere!
- What is the current capital of Japan?
- What is the Japanese word for clan?
- What did Prince Shotoku of the Yamato clan bring from China?
- food, dress, writing, art, culture, belief systems (Conf, Budd.)
- Why is the Yamato Clan important?
- They are the Emperor's clan - descendants of the Sun Goddess Ameratsu. There has been only ONE imperial dynasty in Japan for 1000 years.
You must Login or Register to add cards