Glossary of 201 2
Other Decks By This User
- For the Greeks, the "higher" good of the city (morality, ethics) was what?
- The key to the “higher” good of the soul (philosophy).
- What is the central question of political philosophy?
- Quid Sit Deus? (Who – or what – is God, the Highest?)
- What is Greek Transcendence?
- 1. Good of soul reflected in good of city.
2. Only philosophers transcend city
- What is the Good of Sacrifice for Athens?
- Sacrifice of the particular, mundane for the general, immaterial.
- What is the Good of Sacrifice for Jerusalem?
- Sacrifice of pride for redemption of particular, mundane.
- What is the hierarchy of sacrifice for Athens?
- Pure Thought
- What is the hierarchy of sacrifice for Jerusalem?
- Loving Father
- What is Jewish law?
- What is Christian law?
- Seperation of religion and law
- What is Christian Transcendence?
- All human beings transcend the human, political city.
- According to the Christian view, what is human destiny?
- In “another world,” “The City of God”
- According to Reynolds, when did the Apostasy start?
- before AD 100
- Reynolds said we mistake effects of the Apostasy for what?
- Reynolds: what were covenants abonded for?
- Sacraments: grace through mediation of priest
- What are the three myths about the apostasy?
- 1. Caused by outside persecution
2. Caused by Greek philosophy
3. Great and abominable church is the Catholic church
- In the West, what is the tension between Athens and Jerusalem?
- Idea of a personal, loving Father with that of absolute, immaterial Being.
You must Login or Register to add cards