Glossary of 1st AID USMLE Step 1 Neurology and Psychiatry High Yield Clinical Vignettes
Other Decks By This User
- Patient presents with decreased pain and temperature sensation over the lateral aspects of both arms
What is the lesion?
- Penlight in patient's right eye produces bilateral pupillary constriction. When moved to the left eye there is paradoxical dilation
What is the defect
- atrophy of left optic nerve
- patint describes decreased prick sensation on the lateral aspect of her leg and foot
deficit of what muscular action is expected?
- dorsiflection and eversion of foot (common peroneal nerve)
- elderly woman presents with arthritis and tingling over the lateral digits of her right hand
what is the diagnosis?
- carpal tunnel syndrome, median nerve compression
- decreased reports decreased plantar flexion and decreased sensation over the back of thigh, calf, and lateral half of foot
what spinal nerve is involved
- tibial (L4-S3)
- patient cannot turn her head to the left and has right shoulder droop?
what structure is damaged?
- Right CNXI (runs thru jugular foramen with IX and X) innervating sternocleidomastoid and trapezius muscles
- man presents with one wild, flailing arm
where is the lesion
- contralateral subthalamic nucleus (hemiballismus)
- patient with cortical lesion does not know that he has a disease
where is the lesion
- right parietal lobe
- patient cannot protruede tongue toward left side and has a right sided spastic paralysis
wehre is the lesion?
- left medulla
- after fall that injures elbow, pt can't feel medial palm
which nerve and what injury?
- ulnar nerve due to broken medial condyle
- midshaft break of the humerus
what nerve and artery likely to be damaged
- radial nerve and deep brachial artery, which run together
- patient cannot blink right eye or seal lips and has mild ptosis on right side
what is diagnosis, what nerve affected?
- Bell's palsy, cn vii
- patient complains of pain, numbness, and tingling. on exam, wasting of thenar eminence
what diagnosis, what nerve?
- carpal tunnel, median nerve
- during a particular stage of sleep, man has variable blood pressure, penile tumescence, and variable eeg
- episodes of hypoglycemia; blood analysis reveals no elevation in c protein
- factitious disorder; self scripted insulin
- headache, visual disturbance, galactorrhea, amenorrhea
- middle aged pt with dizziness and tinnitus. ct shows enlarged internal acoustic meatus
- 25 year old female with uniocular vision loss, slurred speech. history of weakness and paresthesias that have resolved
- child "paces out". quivering lips during spells.
- absence seizure
- man on antidepressants has mydriasis and becomes constipated
what is cause of sx?
- tricyclic antidepressants
- woman on MAO inhibitor has hypertensive crisis after a meal
what did she ingest?
- tyramine (wine or cheese)
You must Login or Register to add cards