Glossary of 12Renaissance Review
Other Decks By This User
- What does Renaissance mean?
- Why did the Renaissance begin in northern Italy?
- Italian merchants had grown into a rich and powerful class. They spent their money acquiring the best art, literature, educations, architecture, etc.
- What is a "patron of the arts"?
- Rich Italians such as the Pope or the Medici family would pay for others to learn, create, and teach arts, sciences, etc.
- How did the Medici family gain their wealth?
- They established banks. They later became very influential in politics.
- How did Renaissance art shift in focus from the medieval viewpoint or style?
- (1) It focused on earthly (secular) themes, as well as religious themes; (2) it expressed Greek and Roman themes and styles; (3) it had perspective and proportion. Medieval art was almost completely religious, idealized (not realistic) with no proportion or perspective.
- Why was the Renaissance a period of rediscovery of ancient Greek and Roman knowledge?
- Scholars broke back knowledge and books preserved by the Islamic Golden Age empires as well as the Byzantine Empire.
The Church had forbidden much of this knowledge in the early Middle Ages as pagan. Renaissance man began to examine these ideas again.
- Why is the Renaissance considered the beginning of the modern age?
- While most Renaissance people were very religious, they were beginning to look at the secular world around them and ask questions.
- What was the Renaissance philosophy of humanism?
- It was the focus of Renaissance writers and artists on the world (secular themes) around them. It looked at the potential of man and the genius of the individual.
- What Renaissance genius is considered the "universal man" (L'homme universale)?
- Leonardo da Vinci, who painted, designed, invented, etc. He could do it all (helicopters, subs, the Mona Lisa, the Last Supper).
- What Renaissance genius carved "David" and the "Pieta" and painted
the Sistine Chapel?
- Who painted the "School of Athens", recreating the world of ancient Athens painting the faces of Renaissance men into the painting?
- Raphael. This painting is a perfect summary of the Renaissance attitudes and interests.
- What Renaissance writer wrote the first realistic view of politics and leadership?
- Macchiavelli - he wrote "The Prince. "The end justifies the means." "It is better to be feared than loved" as a ruler.
- Who wrote the Divine Comedy?
- Dante Aligheri.
- How did the Renaissance spread?
- It spread north to Belgium, the Netherlands, etc. following the direction of trade routes and strong trade cities.
- When did the Renaissance end?
- Most people place the end of the Renaissance with the reign of Elizabeth I of England and the time of Shakespeare as the end.
You must Login or Register to add cards