Glossary of 05CHINESE HISTORY
Other Decks By This User
- Chinese dynastic history goes back for almost _______ years.
- Along what River Valley did earliest Chinese civilization form?
- The Huang He or Yellow River Valley in Northeast China.
- What great desert borders Northern China and Mongolia?
- The Gobi Desert.
- The Western half of China is very _____________.
- Eastern China borders the ________ Ocean.
- Pacific Ocean.
- The Himalayan mountains and the jungles of ____ _______ border Southwest China
- Viet Nam.
- What river valley is the longest river in China, located in Central China, and it's mouth is near the populous city of Shanghai?
- The Chiang Jiang or Yangtze River.
- Cutting steps into the sides of mountains to expand agriculture and prevent erosion.
- This high plateau is north of the Himalayas and the home of the Dalai Lama and controversy.
- TIBETAN PLATEAU.
- Percent of China that is arable.
- Part of China most Chinese live.
- Eastern and Southeastern Coastline and along River Valleys.
- The Shang Dynasty had bronzes, royal tombs, and the first indications of THIS on oracle bones.
- CHINESE CHARACTERS (CALLIGRAPHY or WRITING also OK)
- The Capital of China today and the Home of the Forbidden City (of the Emperors).
- This is the term that justified why an emperor must be obeyed or when he must be overthrown.
- MANDATE OF HEAVEN.
- The ZHOU dynasty was China's classical age What two major Chinese philosophies developed at this time?
- Confucianism and Daoism (or Taoism)
- This short dynasty linked up the Great Wall, centralized government, and created the cruel philosophy of Legalism.
- QIN (formerly spelled Chin)
- What dynasty went roughly 200 years before and after Christ, and created Confucian bureaucracy, civil service exams (tests to advance in government).
- These are the two golden ages of art, literature and cultural flowering in Chinese history.
- TANG and SONG.
- Chinese invented these things first.
- Gunpowder (Fireworks); Umbrella; Paper; Printing Press; Coal; Magnetic Compass.
- This was the dynasty of Kubla Khan, Mongolian Emperor and descendant of Genghis Khan.
- Yuan Dynasty.
- This dynasty was famous for its porcelain pottery. It also had a period of naval exploration to India, Southeast Asia and Africa; However they eventually halted exploration and returned to isolation.
- MING dynasty.
- The last dynasty. China was in decline, very weak, and its economy eventually taken over by Western powers. It collapsed in 1911.
- The QING or MANCHU Dynasty.
You must Login or Register to add cards