Glossary of *S Largent* Environmental Science Ch 8 Terms
Other Decks By This User
- a state of complete physical; mental; and social well-being; not merely the absence of a disease or infirmity.
- a deleterious (harmful) change in the bodys condition in response to an environmental factor that could be nutritional; chemical; biological; or psychological.
- disease causing organisms/agents; these include bacteria and viruses
- Emergent Diseases
- a type of disease never known before or one that has been absent for at least 20 years.
- a microbial product or its derivative that kills susceptible microorganisms or inhibits their growth.
- an agent used to destroy pests
- Hazardous Chemicals
- dangerous chemicals; usually including flammables; explosives; irritants; sensitizers; acids; and caustics).
- Toxic Chemicals (Toxins)
- poisonous chemicals
- attack nerve cells; by attacking the nervous system its disruption of body activities is fast-acting and can be devastating.
- agents; such as chemicals and radiation; that damage or alter genetic material (DNA) in cells; early in development this can cause birth defects; while later in life this may trigger growth of tumors
- chemicals or other factors that specifically cause abnormalities during embryonic growth/development; most prevalent teratogen is alcohol
- invasive; out-of-control cell growth that results in malignant tumors.
- substances that cause cancer
- the selective absorption and storage of a great variety of molecules; can be detrimental to organisms if toxins are readily absorbed.
- effects of toxins magnified through food webs; occurs when the toxic burden of a large number of organisms at a lower trophic level is accumulated and concentrated by a predator in a higher tropic level.
- (lethal concentration or lethal dose) describes the toxicity of a chemical to which 50% of the test population is killed.
- Acute toxic effects
- caused by a single exposure to a toxin; which results in an immediate health crisis.
- Chronic toxic effects
- long lasting exposure to a toxin.
You must Login or Register to add cards