Glossary of word usage proglems
Created by enmn
- accuse = to blame
-She accused him of lying.
- v. 1. мэдэгдэх. The prisoner ~s (that) he was at home on the night of the crime. Ялтан хэрэг гардаг шөнө гэртээ байсан гэж мэдэгдэв. 2. шалтаг хэлэх.батлах,томилох,хэрэг тулгах,заалдах,шалтаглах,шалтаглv
- Aggravate means "to make something worse;" it should not be used to refer to an annoyance.
-Pollution can aggravate asthma.
- all together
- -The train went slower and slower until it stopped altogether.
-every one all together
- anyone, everyone
any one, every one
- -anyone and everyone mean "any person" and "every person"
-any one and every one mean "any and every single person or thing"
- as to
- -As to is awkward. Substitute about.
- Eliminate "at" when used after where.
- at about
- Eliminate "at" or "about" if you find them used together.
- awhile, a while
- -Awhile is an adverb, meaning "for a while".
-A while is an article and a noun and is usually used after the preposition for.
- beat, win
- -Beat means "to overcome"
-Win means "to achieve victory in"
Replace "win" IF the sentence sense is "beat".
- bring, take
- -Bring means "to carry from a distant place to a nearer one"
-Take means the opposite "to carry from a near place to more distant one"
- -Bunch means "a number of things of the same kind." Don't use "bunch" to mean "group."
- burst, bust
- burst, burst, burst
bust, busted, busted
- but what
- But what is nonstandard English. Use that.
- can't help
- can't help + gerund
- 1.шийтгэх,буруушаах,ял тулгах
2.v. үл тоох/ хайхрах, өршөөх.
- 1.Occurring over and over in succession.
-We lived in continual fear of being discovered.
2.Occurring without stopping.
-Stop smoking and you will see a continuous improvement in your health.
- -Use "dived" instead of "dove" for the past tense of the verb "dive".
- each other, one another
- -One another is used when more than two are involved.
-We all try and help one another.
-I think we've learned a lot about one another in this session.
- emigrate, immigrate
- -Emigrate "to leave a country".
-Immigrate "to enter a country"
-My parents emigrated from Mongolia to the USA in 1985s.
-About 6.6 million people immigrated to the USA in the 1978.
You must Login or Register to add cards