Glossary of sleep chapter 10 kalat
Created by alal
- theories of sleep function
- repair/ replace needed neurotransmitters.
evolutionary theory(lions vs.gazelles)
- REM sleep
- rapid movement of eyes during sleep.
- measurements of sleep
- electroculogram (EOG): records eye activity
Electromyogram (EMG): muscle recording
electroencephalogram (EEG): brain activity. very general.
- true or false: there are 5 sleep stages
- true! stages go through 1-5 then vary as sleep continues.
- what order does the sleep cycle take after: stage i(nrem), stage ii(nrem), stage iii(nrem), stage iv(nrem), sage iii(nrem), stage ii(nrem), stage i (nrem), rem(dreaming) ?
- any order.
- how often is every sleep cycle?
- every 90 mins.
- later in sleep, dreaming gets longer. dreaming is more common later in the night. if you wake in the middle of the night, stages can be skipped.
- sleep (cont.)
- sleep talking: occurs in mostly all sleep stages.
sleep walking(somnabulism): usually occurs in stage 3 or 4.
lucid dreamers: can manipulate events in dreams and be conscious.
- effects of REM deprivation
- REM rebound (the body tries to get back lost REM sleep from loss of REM sleep.)
dreams happen in real timing
someone is more likely to remember a dream if they are woken up right after it.
- funtion of dreaming?
- pull in more o2 during sleep.
You must Login or Register to add cards