Glossary of psych 331 spousal homicide
Created by tbelshei
- occurs when a person directly or indirectly by any means causes the death of a human being
homicide is either capable (murder, manslaughter) or non capable
- first degree murder
- it is planned or deliberate
the vicitim is a person employed and acting in the course of his work as a prevervation of peace, prison gaurd police officer
the death is caused by a person commiting or attempting to commit certian serous offences
- second degree murder
- all murder that is not first degree
- culpable homicide that is not murder or infanticide
it is generally considered to be homicide commited in the heat of passion by sudden provication.
- chris henriquez
- double murder wife an daughter
wife told him she was leaving because he wouldent change careers
no known history of domestic voilence
wife had greater relationship power drove him around/ he didnt have a driver licence seemed depdant on his wife
- Crawford and Garner
- 297 had prevous recorded hisotires of domestic violence
166 had prior threats to women
130 had prior police intervention.
- estrangment is a huge risk factor for spousal homicide most of the time they use a knife.
- reactive abandonment killing
- ocurs during failed attempt to ward of abandonment
weapon is fund at location by perp
1) extreme voilence - overkill
2) poor or little memory - amnesia
3) little or no attempt to conceal the crime
4)desperation flight- frequently toward a home secure base
- Campbell predict from which variables are predictive of spousal homicide
- largest differences were for
increasing severity of abuse
partner threatened to choke
partner controlling behaviors
partner threatened to kill.
- Brodie Waldrat
- murder pregnant girlfreind also raped her
does not remember hitting victim or raping her
changed his shirt but not his pants
drove to CA, were he fell assleep in his car
put in foster home by parents when he was 5
never had a steady girlfreind until this one
- Mark Fregia
- 35 year old african american male
set his wife on fire and 2 children on fire with gasoline
fregia had been abandoned by his father
also abandoned by mother who left him with her mother at age 1
double abandonment plus grew up in a abusive houshold.
history of depression
borderline personality disroder
stole a car and drove to san fransico.
- OJ simpson
- girlfreind of the month plus is wife was leaving after attempted reconcilation
flies to chigao on red eye
then slow speed chase, disguise in bag
not guilty but got sued
father abandonment was a prfessional femaile impersonator.
- schore on spousal homicide
- emtional structures governing emtion, develop during the primitive phase of timester to the first 18 months maximal growth spurt for right hemispher.
inability to govern reaction to abandonment may form his mis attunement at this age.
- disorganized attachment
- disorganized attachment style for children of frightened frightening mothers
suffer from unresolved trauma
tend to dissoctive dissorders, multiple personality
in adults, dissocaitve tendencies emerge during abandonment ie dissocative rage state.
- Baumeister Suicide as escape from self
- the self becomes aversive when: current outcomes or circumstances far fall below the standards produce by unrealsiticly high expecation,
internal attributions are made so that outcomes are blamed on the self and create negative implications about the self
3. an aversive state of high self awareness develops from painfull comparisons of the self with relevant standards
also produces negative affect.
person tries to escape by removing the painlfully meaningfull comparison through the numb state of cognitive deconstruction
- cognative deconstruction
- diminuation of higher meaning
foreshortened sence of future
aware of self only in concrete ways
focus on proximal immediate tasks
past is filled with assocaitons of aversive affect leads to focus on present.
inability to imagine a happy future
- deconstructed thinking and homicide
- atrribution of cuase of aversive self ocncept to other produces hormicidal act instead of suicide act called projective introjective cycling
- MO summary of dutton study spousal homiccdie
- more likely reactive than planned
usual weapon is found at scene
seperation often a issue
- instrumental vs estrangement Murders
- antisocail = instrumental
dependant self defeating and avoidant - estrangment
You must Login or Register to add cards