Glossary of mcgillchem
Created by markmclean
Other Decks By This User
- sir william osler
- doctor at mcgill
- king chardles the second. was treated by his doctor to rid him of disrupted humurs.. which are no known as
- the study of urine
- brown urine indicates
- liver problems
- excess vitamin b2 indicates what colour
- yellow urin
- gas chromatorgraphy and mass spectrometry is used today to analyze urine , how manny differnt compounds were found .
- life expectancy at the end of the last century was
- presently the life expectancy is
- the mortality rate for women in the 1940s was about 50/1000 birts in the 1940s, this dropped to 1/1000 in 1980 due to the use of
- andorra has a life expectancy rate of
- world life expectancy average is
- it is estimated that what percent of the world population by 2020 will be over 65
- 16 percent
- worlds longest living person in the world is believed to be
- lizzie bolden 115
- the oldest person ever on record was
- jeanne calment 122
- if you are 20 years old you have a ? chance of having a living grandmother
- a century ago, a 20 year old would have a ? percent chance of having a living mother!
- current deaths in the world are largely due to infectious diseases such as
- respiratory 5 m
dirraheal 3 m
tuberculosis 3 m
- the 1918 flu influenza is estimated to have caused how many deaths in the world
- 30-50 mill
- what caused most of the flus in the 1918 influenza?
- baceterial pneumonia
- small pox was totally eradicated by a
- the WHO worth health organization suggests that ? million lives hvr been saved in arround 20 years with the use of vaccinations
- 40 million
- polio is almost eradicated, it is down to how many cases per year around the world
- leprosay in the 1980s caused how many deaths
- 12 million
- leprosay or hansens dease has been reduced to only caused how many deaths per year
- less than one million
- leprosay is controlled using a
- multi drug therapy
- with the guinea worm disease, the water flea carries a
- nematode larvae
- the simple non drug eradiction used to prevend guinea worm disease is to.
- filter the water
- ballon angioplasty or a roto router treatment is aleve
- was instrumental in the deelopment of tools of diagnosis
- sir william osler
- who said to listen carefully to your patient, as they will tell you the diagnosis
- sir william osler
- what is a drug
- a chemical agent that affects living matter
- drug effects have to have effieceinet rates of over ? in order to be distinguised from the placebo effect
- 30-35 percent
- prescription drugs is a ? billion dollar market in north amaerica this year
- over the counter drugs was a ? billion dollar market in norht america this year
- the drug market goes up about how many percent each year?
- 5-8 percent
- the sumerians had how many beer recipes
- the poppy is a plant which is used in parmaceutical drugs. What is derived from the poppy that is an active ingredient in morphine?
- who tried to explude supersisition
- hippocrates remedie which cured nightblindess with the use of a ? is nottable because it contains a high source of vitamin A
- ox liver
- who controls drug testing a licensing
- dioscories wrote de materia medica, a large tome with information about plants and their parmeceuitcal effects, among those plants described were
arum dioscordies- expectorant
saffrom- used to make tea
- pharmakon means
- maimonides prescribed ? to treat leprosy, hemmorhouds, cold and constipation
- browth of fowl
- What doctor wrote alot in code?
- doctor paracelsus
- what did doctor paracelsus say about the doctrine of humors
- that he did not agree with it and that the proof comes from experiment and reasoning not such elements such as air, water etc
- paracelsus was against polypharmacy, what does this mean
- using more than one drug at a time
- is the practise that uses incredibly diulute substances to treat disease
- the idea that god markets everything he had created with a sign was called the
- doctrine of signatures
- assited in the condition one known as dropsy, where one would drop to their knees due to lack of fluic accumulation.
- fox glove plant
- lanoxin is used for? and is derived from the ? plant
- congestive heart failure, foxglove plant
- who was the first to find the use of foxglove? who was a competitor
- william withering, darwin
- what percent of children are affected with malaria in the congo
- 50 percent
- 380 species of the anopheline mosquito yet only ? of which are able to succesfully transmit the disease
- malaria is known to slow the economic growth of africa at the rate of over ? per year
how many cases, deaths per year and how many children die of malaria every year
- what was the early cure of malaria was ? and what plant was it extracted from
- quinnine, cinchona plant
- who were the first to purify quinnine from bark in 1820?
- pelletier and caventou
- in order to prevent malaria, the british would drink ?
because it contained quinnine
- gin and tonic because it contains quinnine
- why do chemists synthesize and modify the chemical structures of biologically active compounds?
- to find more efeect and less toxic compounds
- ddt in the 1940s was used to battle
- by 1966 it was estimated that ddt helped prevent malaria by saving ? many lives
- 500 million
- what are the downsides of ddt/
- causes the shells of bird eggs to crack prematurely- hampers bird reporduction, resulting in its ban
- what are other possible ways to combate malaria?
- insecticide treated nets
geneticall modified parasite resistant mosquitoes so that they will overbreed the entire mosquito population.
a chinese herbal remedy
- plagues were initially associated with
- bad air
- in fact, plagues were associated with?
- rats and bad hygiene in the cities of europe
- was the first to purfiy morphine in 1805
- friedrich sertuner
- dr joseph lister made some very important discoveries in medicine, some which include
- listerine, was used for dandruff control and as a deodarant..
it contains thymol and alcohol
propofol- amnesia- killed michael jackson
- bht is used to
- keep cereal boxes fresh
- feeding rats bht increases their longevity by
- joseph lister first believed that the cure to contamination issues in the surgery room was to spray ? around the room. but then later realized that ?
- phenol, washing your hands was sufficient.
- what was introduced by thomas toddick?
You must Login or Register to add cards