Glossary of gerund & infintive - usage
Created by enmn
- gerund. subj
- Swimming is good for health.
Swimming keeps you fit.
Cycling is a popular form of exercise.
- gerund. obj
- She is busy cooking.
We wasted a lot of time trying to find a parking space.
He avoided answering my question.
- gerund. after preposition
- He was found guilty of lying in court.
He left without saying goodbye.
Instead of buying new shoes, I had my old ones repaired.
- gerund. verbs/adjectives with preposition in combinations.
- She objects to working on Saturdays.
I am interested in learning English.
She is responsible for implementing new policy.
- gerund. go + some expression verbs.
- I went swimming last Saturday.
Do you go shopping every weekend.
- inf. subj
- To smoke is bad for your health.
To win means everything to him.
To speak a foreign language well requires practice.
- inf. obj
- I want to sleep
I will arrange to meet
I am planning to have a party.
I struggled to stay awake.
- inf. after adj/noun
- It is heavy to lift.
It is her ambition to open her own shop.
- inf. complement
- my job is to teach things properly.
- inf. with enough/too
- I am tall enough to join the basketball team.
We have got enough time to finish this job.
- inf. verb + obj pronoun + inf
- My sister taught me how to read
Harry invited Johnson to come to his party.
Our teacher requires us to be on time.
- inf. purpose
- She went to the bank to get some money.
- inf. with expressions similar to modals
- have/has to,
be supposed to,
be allowed to,
be about to,
be going to,
would like/prefer/love to,
- inf. after "to be" + the first/second or next/last/best
- He was the first to arrive.
- gerund.inf. with no difference in meaning.
- He began/started to shout = He began/started shouting.
He continued to shout = He continued shouting.
I like/love/prefer/dislike to read = I like/love/prefer/dislike reading.
I hate/can’t stand/can’t bear to wait = I hate/cant’ stand/can’t bear waiting.
- gerund.inf. With difference in meaning.
- Hear listen to notice see
Watch feel observe remember
Forget regret try stop
I listened to James singing a song. (Жамэсын дуу дуулах хэсэгээс сонссоно.)
I listened to James sing a song. (Жамэсын дууг бүхэлд нь сонссоно)
I will remember to call her. (Ирээдүйд тэрэнрүү залгана гэдэгтэй итгэлтэй мэдэж байгаа)
I will remember calling her. (Өнгөрсөнд залгасан гэдэгээ санаж байгаа)
I will not forget to meet him. (Ирээдүйд уулзахаа мартахгүй)
I will never forget meeting him. (Өнгөрсөнд уулзсанаа мартахгүй)
I regret to say he is not here. (Тэр энд байхгүйд уучлаарай гэж хэлж байна)
I regret saying it. (Би уучлаарай гэж хэлж байна)
I will try to ring the bell. (Боломжтой бол хонх дугаргахаар оролдоно)
I will try ringing the bell. (Би хонхыг дугарагахаар оролдож байх болно)
I stopped to smoke at ten o’clock. (Би 10 цагт тамхи татахаа зогсоосон)
I stopped smoking a year ago. (Би тамхи татахаа бүр болсон гэсэн санаа)
I never forget kissing my girl first.
Don’t forget to lock the door when you leave.
I forgot to mail the letter.
You must Login or Register to add cards