Glossary of esci 61-80
Created by xjf228x
- 61. Most detrital sedimentary rocks are formed from quartz and clay.
- 62. Obsidian exhibits this type of texture.
a. aphanitic/b. glassy
c. porphyritic/d. phaneritic
- 63. Rocks that contain crystals that r roughly equal in size (like granite) and can be identified with the unaided eye are generally said to exhibit this type of texture.
a. fine grained/b. glassy
c. porphyritic/d. coarse grained/ e. pyroclastic
- coarse grained
- 64. The texture of an igneous rock ____
a. is controlled by the composition of magma
d. is caused by leaching
e. is very much dependent on the rock’s cooling time
- is very much dependent on the rock’s cooling time
- 65. Igneous rocks are formed _____
a. by the weathering of pre-existing rocks
b. by changes in mineral composition
c. at great depth within Earth
d. by the crystallization of molten rock (magma)
- by the crystallization of molten rock (magma)
- 66. Sedimentary rocks ___
a. may contain fossils
b. hold import clues to Earth’s history
c. are often layered
d. may be economically important
e. all of these
- all of these
- 67. Metamorphism may result from
c. chemical action
d. any or all of these
e. only heat and pressure
- all of these
- 68. Many metamorphic rock __
a. are extremely fossiliferous
b. have a linear orientation of minerals
c. are unaltered sedimentary rocks
d. all of these
e. none of these
- have a linear orientation of minerals
- 69. Which of the following materials below is considered a very good aquitard?
a. coarse sand/b. fine sand
c. soil/d. clay
e. none of the above.
- 70. When certain mineral crystals recrystallize w/orientation..the rock is said to exhibit ___
a. striations/b. foliation
c. aurole/d. all of these
e. none of these
- 71. The common rock produced by the metamorphism of shale is
a. marble/b. mica schist
c. slate/d. gneiss
- 72. This metamorphic rock listed below is composed of alternating bands of light and dark silicate minerals.
a. phyllite/b. mica schist
C. guartzite/d. gneiss
- 73. Starting with the energy from the sun, what are the general stages/steps of the hydrologic cycle?
a. evapor, precip, conden, runoff/infiltration
c. evapor, conden, precip, runoff/infiltration
runoff/infiltration, precip, conden
- evaporation, condensation, precipitation, runoff/infiltration
- 74. Which river features are generally associated with younger streams?
a. rapids/b. waterfalls
c. v-shaped channels
d. small/narrow floodplain
e. all of the above
- all of the above
- 75. Sidewalks and roadways are very impermeable surfaces.
- 76. Particle size (texture) and fragment shape (angular, rounded) are the primary basis for distinguishing among various detrital sedimentary rocks
- 77. New igneous rock is formed at the mid-ocean ridges as magma rises and cools.
- 78. Metamorphism only alters sedimentary rocks.
- 79. All silicate minerals contain the elements
a. silicon and iron
b. silicon and magnesium
c. silicon and calcium
d. silicon and sodium
e. silicon and oxygen
- silicon and oxygen
- 80. The tendency of minerals to break along smooth flat surfaces is called
a. streak/b. fracture
c. cleavage/d. conchoidal
You must Login or Register to add cards