Glossary of esci 21-40
Created by xjf228x
- 21. Sources of groundwater contamination include:
a. pesticides and fertilizers
c. salt water
e. all of the above
- all of the above
- 22. When sediment is floating in a stream creating “murky” water, the sediment is moving (transported) as part of its _____________ load.
- 23. This drainage pattern occurs when streams diverge from a central elevated area.
- 24. To achieve flood control, ___ involves altering a stream channel in order to speed the flow of water.
a. entrenchment/ b. rectifying
- 25. The single most important erosional agent is/are ____________
a. running water
e. plants and animals
- running water
- 26. The continuous movement of water from the oceans to the atmosphere, from the atmosphere to the land, and from the land back to the sea is known as ____________
c. the Hydrologic cycle
- the Hydrologic cycle
- 27. The deposition of sediment based on the size of the particle is called _____
a. erosion/b. transportation
c. bed load/d. weathering
- 28. Seismologists are currently looking at animal behavior as a gauge to seismic activity. a.True
- 29. Ultimate base level is sea level.
- 30. Karst topography is mainly the result of acid precipitation meeting and dissolving the limestone bedrock.
- 31. As its name implies, the water table is always very level (flat).
- 32. Which erosional features r exhibited by an older stream?
a. deltas, oxbow lakes, natural levees
b. nat levees, back swamps, pt bars
c. cutbanks, u-shaped river beds, wide flood plains
d. all of the above
- all of the above
- 33. The steeper the slope of a mountain, the higher the chance for mass wasting to occur.
- 34. The water table separates the zone of aeration and the zone of saturation.
- 35. Tsunamis are tidal waves that are often caused by the gravitational forces of the Earth, Moon, and Sun.
- 36. Chemical weathering would be most effective
a. in a warm, dry climate
b. in a cold, dry climate
c. in a warm, humid climate
d. equally in any kind of climate
- in a warm, humid climate
- 37. Which is not tru about mechanical weathering?
a. prod smaller pieces
b. adds 2 the effectiveness of chem weathering
c. may lead 2 da formation of talus slopes
d. does not change the rock’s mineral composition
e. does not affect metamo
- does not affect metamorphic rocks
- 38. The center or inner core of the Earth is composed mainly of iron (Fe) and Nickel (Ni).
- 39. The incorporation and transportation of material by water, wind, or ice describes the process of ___
a. weathering/b. erosion
c. mass wasting/d. sheeting
e. none of these
- 40. Oceanic crust tends to be less dense than continental crust
You must Login or Register to add cards