Glossary of ece1104
Created by pbella
- social studies
- people who know people.
4 yo understand people die.
study of human beings in their environment
concepts and skills needed to become social beings
- why social studies?
- to make sense of world
become productive and happy in society
support to become self-directed adults.
- relevant to children
- self first
- toddler social studies
who am i
eyes mouth nose
my body your body
i have a name
who is this
describe child or item
- four year old socials
who is my family?
what is my home?
detailed body parts eg: chin
name on art
who was that?
- arrange science learning opps
- make list of times and places where science happens.
set up displays to attract attention.
find science in menus
keep displays simple
include sense of humour
listen, then question
- decide on container
decide on necessary tools (planting equipment, mister etc.)
arrange field trip to greenhouse pick up plants and soil/water conditions/ gravel and charcoal
talk about plants needs.
- value nature
- save paper, water and energy, food.
avoid throwing things away reuse
help understand where garbage goes.
emphasize repair and maintenance skills
help recognize pollution and understand how it damages. examin water etc.
value and protect environments..plant flowers rather than pick
- add to terrarium
doesn't need water dish, it gets from water from plants. eat live insects and grubs.
warm sunny spot
time to get used to home
- broad areas of social studies
- home and family
living at school
social processes and problems
health and safety
- home and family
composition and size
- living at school
- self concept
concern for others
rules and regulations
- social processes and problems
- health and safety
rest and relaxation
care of body (doctors etc)
- social studies for preschool
- harvest festivals
hanukkah (festival of light jewish)
candles lit each night in menorah
candle known as shamash lit every night.. on first night, two second and so on unitl 9 in menorah.
- group of people who may live together
family group may change
members are special alike and different
family is like some families but different from others
each family has beginning and way of life
boys and girls in same family called brothers and sisters
- self concept
- no one just like me
special name given to me when i was born
no one has avoice like mine
i have feelings
no one can know how i feel unless i tell them or show them
share materials equipment and attention of teacher and be safe at school
learn appropriate ways to show my feelings
- community is the neighbourhood where you live work and play
people in community have different jobs
different races and nationalities
society made of diff cultures and lifestyles
every school is located in community
eveery community has members who care about children
every community filled with people with talents hobbies and resources
- why social studies
- to familiarize children with society they live in. social skills to be with people and become social beings. understanding of world. how we fit into the world. understand self, emotions and responses.
teaching for tomorrow. values and attitudes to make sense of world they're in productive and happy.
- four areas of socials
- self, family, community, diversity
- teaching peace
- interacting with others, assisting with problem solving, using the words
- how to teach peace
- disposition/attitude in classroom
relies on or supports trust consideration respect
safety -feelings - hurt
ok to have disagreements. ok to be different. yelling trained to talking. self regulation comes at 41/2. child as individual.. how short is fuse? how long is yelling? support child to help other child
- rules with conflict
- using words to settle conflicts.. what is it you want to say..
- rules of conflict
- using words to settle conflicts.. what is it you want to say.. tell them..
understand power of words..support to use different words and translate. understanding consequences negotiation.
b) don't hurt anybody..gentle touches..no spitting. humour ok if fall not always funny.. no sarcasm. different cries.
- teachers role teaching peace
- support and create place for problem solving and social pushes and puls support negotiation
-don't have to solve their problems "what can you do then?"
-help children to express emotions at ability level. hitting not ok
-accepting and celebrating differences. diversity conversation vs. shutting down
- developmentally appropriate
here now, relevant, concrete to abstract etc.
- how children learn
- through senses
through exploring and experimenting at own pace
- environment as third teacher
- observe interests abilites and understanding. create experiences to support to explore, intent not tight control, flexibility.
- build on what child knows
- begin with child's elvel
teacher intervenes to offer info, question to ponder, comment to provoke further thinking
coach and invite exploration not to test or frustrate.
- learning styles
- auditory, visual, kenesthetic, social learners,
- why teach math science and socials?
- SUPPORT TO EXPLORE AND LEARN ABOUT INTERESTS IN WORLD
help become responsible inhabitants
support them to become responsible citizens of society
make sense of world
- process of gathering knowledge. ability to learn how.
- processing skills
- children learn to examin objects using senses
- compare likenesses and differences among objects and ideas
- sorting group of objects on a property or dimension. they decide
name a group or say how they are alike
sort by something that doesn't belong
- using words to tell what have observed etc.. write out explain happening
- when obs. of an event or object are limited children should learn to associate prev. exp. to limited observation to discover new info. about the event or object involves risk taking
- guess what will happen using existing data pattern eetc. suggest non-observed or future outcomes
- children are involved in using standard and non-standard units of measure.
- recognizing duplicating or creating regular occurence of word, materials or events to establish predictability
- either dictate or write down what observe
- inferring a general rule from particular facts or past experiences.
- 1 cornstarch 1 water
mix slowly, slightly tough to move hands through
slowly add water
when to involve children? processing skills? how does it feel.. what happens when you apply pressure or stop. what happens when you slap it?
- color recipe
- clear plastic beakers, small plastic containers, food colour, large beaker of water, colour paddles, eye droppers/small spoons, paper coffee filters, large bucket.
place food color in beaker and add water. take eye droppers and add diff colours to the clear plastic jars.
when premix primary colours consider strength of each primary color. yellow may need more
- process questions for workshop
- learning concepts? learning context? learning framework? critical thinking process, how can you support? before/during/after at what point can children be involved or just watching? how can you involve children? how can you support to revisit predictions?
- 1 cup of glycerine
1/3 cup of water
1-2 tbsp liq. detergent
mix into bowl use diff wands etc.
are bubbles always sphere? use straws to make bubbles in a pan. use metal containers and pour into there..
- magnets and items to try and pick up
chart paper and pen
variety or items to try and pick up
container for sorting
create chart etc.
You must Login or Register to add cards