Glossary of cmun 250 chapter 11
Created by mrussell6
Other Decks By This User
- commercial spots purchased from local television stations that generally appear during the time periods adjacent to network program.
- local television stations that are associated with a major network. affiliates agree to preempt time during specified hours for programming provided by the network and carry the advertising contained in the program.
- Average quarter hour figure
- the average number of persons listening to a particular radio station for at least five minutes during a 15 minutes period.
- Average quarter hour rating
- the average quarter-hour figure estimate expressed as a percentage of the population being measured. used to measure radio audiences
- Average quarter hour share
- the percentage of the total listening audience tuned to each station as a percentage of the total listening audience in the survey area. used to measure radio audiences.
- Cable television
- a form of television where signals are carried to households by wire rather than through the airways.
- a term used for cumulative audience which is the estimated total number of different people who listened to a radio station for a minimum of five minutes during a particular daypart.
- the time segments into which a day is divided by radio and television networks and stations for selling advertising time.
- focused mental and emotional connection between a consumer, media vehicle and a brands message.
- group of cable systems joined together for advertising purposes
- Image transfer
- a radio advertising technique whereby the images of a television commercial are implanted into a radio spot.
- Households using television
- the percentage of homes in a given area that are watching television during a specific time period.
- Local advertising
- advertising done by companies within the limited geographic area where they do business.
- direct broadcast satellite services
- a television signal delivery system whereby programming is beamed from satellites to special receiving dishes mounted in the home.
- an arrangement where multiple channels transmitted by one cable network.
- the reaching of a very specialized market through programming aimed at particular target audiences. cable television networks offer excellent opportunities for narrowcasting.
- National spot advertsing
- all nonnetwork advertising done by a national advertiser in local markets.
- Nielsen television index
- daily and weekly estimates of the size and composition of the national viewing audiences for programs aired on the broadcast and major cable networks.
- the situation where several advertisers buy commercial time or spots on network television.
- People meter
- an electronic device that automatically records a households television viewing. including channels watched, number of minutes of viewing an members of the household who are watching.
- Ratings point
- a measurement used to determine television viewing audiences in which one ratings point is the equivalent of one percent of all of the television households in a particular area tuned to a specific program.
- Scatter market
- a period for purchasing television advertising time that runs throughout the TV season.
- Share audience
- the percentage of households watching television in a special time period that are tuned to a specific program.
- Station reps
- individuals who act as sales representatives for a number of local stations and represent them in dealings with national advertisers.
- when advertisers sponsor content on a website
- Spot advertising
- commercials shown on local television stations with the negotiation and purchase of time being made directly from the individual stations.
- independent local stations that send their signals via satellite to cable operators that in turn make them available to subscribers (TBS, WGN)
- Syndicated programs
- shows sold or distributed to local stations.
- Total audience
- the total number of homes viewing any five minute part of a telecast.
- Television households
- the number of households in a market that own a television set.
- Television network
- the provider of news and programming to a series of affiliated local television stations.
- Up-front marketing
- a buying period that takes place prior to the upcoming television season when the networks sell a large part of their commercial
- fast forwarding through commercials during the playback of a program previously recorded on a VCR.
- the use of a remote control device to chance channels and switch away from commercials.
You must Login or Register to add cards