Glossary of Wordly Wise Comprehensive Review
Other Decks By This User
- Of dubious authenticity or origin; spurious
- Understood by only a few; mysterious
- 1. To summon or cause to assemble
2. To gather or assemble; to meet formally
- 1. Useful for some purpose; convenient
2. Concerned primarily or exclusively with serving one's own interest
- 1. To flow out slowly; to ooze or exit.
2. To give forth; to exhibit in abundance.
- To motion enthusiastically with the body or limbs
- Calm and assured
- An increase, addition or gain, often by regular, consecutive amounts
- Excessive frivolity; a lack of seriousness; joking
- To embarrass or humiliate
- The area around the edges; the outermost part
- One who tells stories withskill and wit
- To say or do over again; to repeat
- A deceptive scheme or strategy
- 1. To move back and forth from lack of balance; waver
2. To alternate indecisevely between opinions or courses of action.
- Equipment or accessories
- Feeling or expressing a sense of injustice, injury or offense.
- Easily anagered; quick-tempered
- 1. To behave or conduct oneself
2. To be in accord or agreement
- To disrupt the self-possession or confidence of; to perturb or fluster
- Animals of a region or period, considered as a whole
- To place or come between; to intervene or interrupt.
- To roam in search of plunder
- A small amount
- Having or exhibiting great wealth or abundance.
- noun: A member of the nobility
adj: Of noble birth; showing refinement of taste or manners
- Not given to action or reaction; sluggish or calm in temperament.
- A natural inclination or tendancy
- Relating to the treatment of a disease; contributing to general well-being.
- Relating to usefulnees rather than beauty; practical
- To waste away or fail to develop
- The power to bring about the desired result; effectiveness
- Salary or fees for work done; compensation
- 1. A religious painting, especially one revered by the Eastern Christian churches
2. A symbol or image whose form suggests its meaning.
3. One who is idolized
- Beginning to exist or appear; in the first stage
- To impress upon or teach by frequent repetition
- Too valuable or great to be measured
- Lacking brightness or vitality; without spirit or enthusiasm
- A strict disciplinarian
- 1. Extremely large in bulk, quantity, or degree
2. Causing amazement or wonder
- A regulated program, especially one designed to improve or maintain health.
- Of or related to a star
- One seemingly indifferent to pleasure or pain
- 1. Full of life or vigor
2. Bright or vivid
3. Quivering or vibrating
- Very enthusiastic; fervant; passionate on behalf of someone or something.
- The quality or state of being self-governing; independence
- Cautious and pruent; heedful of consequences
- Calmness of mind or bearing; self-control
- 1. A large, imposing structure or building
2. A complex structure or system built up over time, as if it were a real building.
- To settle or place securely or snugly
- The area adjoining or surrounding a place
- Marked by the absence of good luck; unfortunate
- Shockingly evil or wicked
- With one's identity concealed; unrecognized
- 1. To teach or train in the fundamentals
2. To instill or teach from a partisan point of view
- noun: An interval of time between events
adj: Belonging to or taking place between events; temporary
- A large and impressive tomb
- To rob or plunder
- 1. The condition of being lost in thought
2. A daydream
- A loss of one's ability to act freely; a state over which one appears to have no control.
- Difficult to understand
- To arise or increase as a natural result or growth, usually used with "to" or "from"
- To accept as inevitable; to cmoply passively
- To stain or tarnish; to make dirty
- Fully and clearly expressed, leaving nothing merely implied.
- Purposely affected; theatrical
- 1. The quality or state of being improper or unsuitable
2. Something that is improper
- 1. To lure or trick into doing something
2. To obtain by flattery or trickery
- Sorry for having done wrong
- Honesty; trustworhtiness; adherence to virtue
- To give or present the often false impression of being someone or intending something
- An unforeseen or indirect result or effect of an event.
- Something that is made known or revealed , often coming as a surprise
- An overabundant supply; an excess.
- 1. Having an unpleasant look, taste or smell.
2. Morally offensive
- Someone or something that is intensely disliked, cursed or shunned.
- 1. To satisfy
2. To lesson or reduce the intensity of
- Like a benevolent uncle; famliar and indulgent.
- Sociable; concerned with good company and festivities.
- Combining elements from a variety of sources.
- A short, witty poem or saying
- To explain in detail; to set forth
- Relating to the essential nature of something; real or actual.
- Habitual or deeply rooted; persistent
- A very powerful or wealthy person; a magnate
- Extremely generous; liberal in giving.
- Begining to exsit; emerging.
- Clear-sighted; shrewd
- noun: One who is indifferent to or disdainful of intellectual values
adj: Smugly ignorant of artistic or intellectual qualities.
- Tending to favor or assist; encouraging
- 1. A large group of islands
2. A body of water containing a large number of islands
- 1. To rush headlong, often with a swerving or luching motion.
2. To cause to lean or tip to one side
- Showing an offhand or carefree disregard; arrogant
- Sharing a boundry; being very close or in contact; adjacent
- To connect related thins; to bring things into proper relation with one another.
- 1. The history of a word
2. The science that studies such histories
- Wildly excited; frantic
- Relating to motion
- To foretell; to warn or indicate in advnace
- 1. To crush or grind into dust or powder
2. To demolish
- Difficult to understand; abstruse
- 1. to repel; to drive back
2. to reject in a cool or distant mannner
3. to disgust
- 1.Caused by or having to do with earhquakes
2. Having powerful and widespread effects
- 1. To form or move in waves
2. To have a wavelike appearance or motion
- 1. a radicalor violent change
2. A forceful lifting or warping from beneath
- adj: Engaged to be married
noun: A person to whom one is engaged to be married
- An act or statement that shows disrespect or irreverence toward something considered sacred.
- 1. A rhythm marked by a regular beat.
2. The rising and falling of the voice in human speech.
- 1. A rule or principle that provides the norm for judgment.
2. The works of a writer accepted as authentic
- 1. The outcome of a series of events
2. The final resolution following the climax of the plot of a work of drama or fiction.
- A statement or command having the force of law.
- to inspire with love; to captivate
- 1. lacking sensation or awareness
2. Lacking sense or ability to reason
3. Brutal; lacking feeling
- 1. a person who deserts one group or cause for another; a traitor
2. A person who rejects lawful behavior
- A speech in which a character's thoughts are given verbal expression.
- 1. A strong criticism
2. Anything that restricts or limits
- A group of three, especially one possessing great power or eminence
- To seize and hold power or authority in an illegal or unjust manner
- An outer garmet, especially one indicating a role, rank or office
- A person who is devoted to a cause or organization, especially one of religous nature
- A coming or arrival
- indifferent to what others might find pleasurable or exciting because of excessive indulgence or enjoyment; unconcerned.
- An ostentatious display of bravery; defiant or swaggering behavior
- 1. containing ormade up of fundamentally different and often incongruous elements.
2. Showing a marked difference or inequality
- One's house or place of residence
- 1. To make by putting parts together; to construct
2. to invent in order to deceive
- 1. Traveling from place to place
2. One who goes from place to place
- Extremely samll or appearing to be so.
- A strong, irrational fear
- A strong inclination towards something
- An object impelled with force or self-propelled through the air
- 1. Causing nausea or tending to be nauseous.
2. Causing or experiencing uneasiness; squeamish
- To exchange in kind; to repay
- 1. To put out of sight or mind; demote
2. to assign for a decision or further action
- Dizziness or a tilting, spinning sensation
- 1. a loss of memory, usually caused by shock or injury
2. a gap in one's memory
- 1. to bring to a state of peace or quiet
2. to pacify an adversary, often by making concessions
- 1. a gradual reduction in numbers or loss of strength
2. a weakening resulting from pressure or harassment
- a sudden collapse, downfall, or failure
- To strip a plant of leaves, thereby damaging or destroying it
- having to do with horseback riding
- to obliterate or erase completely
- commonplace; trite; lacking force or significance because of overuse
- scornful treatment or contempt, especially as a result of disgraceful behaviour
- a statement that makes a condition, qualification, or restriction
- to soil, tarnish, or besmirch
- relating to or perceptible by the sense of touch
- to scold or criticize severely; to find fault with
- green with vegetation; covered with green plants
- the point opposite and farthest from the base; summit
- 1. To make or become thin
2. To lessen the amount, force, or value of
- Something or someone of enormous size or power
- To remove from a grave or tomb; to dig up
- 1. To go beyond desirable or established limits; to encroach.
2. To come into contact with, especially forcefully
- Having many forms; varied, versatile.
- A combination of words that seem to be contradictory
- An ample amount; an abundance
- To assume as a fact based on the best available evidence
- 1. To prove superior in power and strength
2. To remain in effect or use; to be current or widespread
- To become rotten or decayed, giving off a foul odor
- Beneficial to health or well-being
- Fresh and juicy
- Flat, treeless plains of the arctic regions
- Leaving no room for misunderstanding; unambiguous
- Fluctuations in conditions; changes in fortune
- Peaceful relations (particularly between nations); friendship
- A critical or hostile comment
- Being in direct and outspoken opposition
- Inclined to quarrel; combative, warlike
- Of or relating to country life; rustic; pastoral
- Utterly lacking courage; willing to give up or capitulate
- To rais in rank, wealth, or honor; to praise highly; glorify
- To attack as false; to call into question
- Inclined to look inward and examine one's thougths and feelings
- Work or activity for which one is particularly suited.
- 1. Marked by extreme poverty
2. Stingy; lacking generosity
- An instance or condition of extreme hardship; a lack of comfort
- A nickname
- Equivalent to; the same as (used with "to")
- Conditions of painful or difficult change, struggle or turmoil
- The putting of others' well-being ahead of one's own; unselfishness
- Taking place at the same time; simultaneous
- 1. The circumstances in which something exists or occurs
2. The surroundings of a word or phrase in a spoken or written passage
- Lacking delicacy or sensitivity; gross.
- Style of cooking
- To lower the quality, character or status of; to devalue
- 1. To direct or command
2. To forbid or prohibit
- Composed or performed on the spur of the moment, with little or no planning
- An origin, creation, or beginning
- A liquid, usually wine, especially when poured as an offering or drunk as part of a ceremony
- A vague feeling of uneasiness or unwellness
- A thought or remark that is dull or trite
- 1. To establish an amicable relationship
2. To bring to quiet submission
- To break or force apart; to sever
- 1. Activity that is arduous and burdensome; toil
2. Suffering or anguish
- A state (usually temporary) of inactivity or suspension
- 1. A projecting structure that supports a wall or building
2. Anything that supports or protects
- Corresponding in size, degree or amount; proportionate; of equal value
- Slow to act or respond; delaying, tardy
- Universal; inclusive, especially concerning religous matters
- 1. The front or face of a building
2. A superficial appearance; an illusion
- A grotesque stone figure used as a decorative feature on a building or as an ornament; a spout projecting
- To debate, suggest or discuss
- 1. A tall, slender, pointed top; peak
2. The highest poing of achievement
- A funeral mass or service; a musical composition honoring the dead
- Highly sacred or holy; not to be violated
- 1. Coming from or acting on the senses
2. Producing an agreeable effect on the senses
- A principle or belief held to be true, especially by members of an organization
- To go above the limits of; to exceed or surpass
- The scene or locale of any action or event; the place of an alleged crime
- One whose decisions are accepted as final; a judge
- A private meeting or secret assembly
- Accompanying; occupying or existing at the same time
- An intimate or exclusive group; a clique
- To raise objections; to withhold one's approval or agreement
- To lead or persuade by arousing desire or hope; allure
- To parade or display conspicuously or boldly
- Polite, elegant, stylish; sometimes overly so
- 1. Evoking a sharp mental picture; vivid
2. Concerning the pictorial arts, as drawing, painting, etc.
- 1. Expressing hostility or unfriendly intent
2. Having adverse or harmful effects
- Beyond what is ordinary or reasonable in amount or scope; excessive
- Provoking or describing laughter because of absurdity; ridiculous
- Government by a small, elite group
- Worthy of respect; formidable
- Highly distasteful; offensive; repulsive
- Public or institutional records, especially historical documents that are preserved; the place where such records are kept
- 1. An item of property that can be moved, as distinct from real
2. A human being considered as property
- Having plenty of space to move around freely; roomy
- A large, diastrous fire
- A place or state of neglect, oblivion, or transition
- LIne of descent; ancestory
- Indifferent, spiritless; showing lack of motivation or interest
- An important city, especially one regarded as the center of a particular activity
- Done in a routine way, without care or particular interest
- Like new; spotless; free of dirt and decay
- Loosely made; appearing ready to collapse; dilapidated
- 1. To set apart; to seclude
2. To seize, especially by legal authority
- Planning to undermine or overthrow an established order
- The final destination or goal of a journey or endeavor; the finishing point
- 1. Extremely harmful or poisonous; deadly
2. Full of hate; bitter or spiteful
- Exercising sole or complete control; dictorial
- 1. Capable of destroying tissue by chemical action; corrosive
2. Very sarcastic; sharp or biting
- To impair the strength of; to enfeeble
- Marked by deception
- A representative sent on a special errand
- 1. Happily suited to an occasion or situation; appropriate and graceful
2. Marked by happiness or good fortune; pleasant; charming
- Direct; straightforward; frank
- Being habitually without money; poor
- 1. Of unhealthy yellow appearance
2. Affected by jealousy, resentment or hositility
- adj. Serving merely for money or gain; greety
noun. A soldier who fights for whoever pays him
You must Login or Register to add cards