Glossary of Vocab 23-24
Created by konradf22a
- [French: "mal"=bad + "aise"=ease]
Unhealthy state of an institution. Uneasiness of mind or spirit.
- [Latin: "mora"=delay]
A legally authorized period of delay in the performance of a legal obligation or the payment of a debt. A waiting period set by an authority.
- [English: "mesmer"=hypnotic state+"ize"(suffix)]
To hypnotize; to subject to mesmerism.
- to remove the intestines of; eviscerate. To destrou the interior of, as by fire.
- Something that seems to appear to the sight by has no physical existence; apparition. A person or thing that is something in appearance but not in fact.
- Something given to pacify or quiet, as a bribe
- Crafty schemes; plots; intrigues
- formed into organized groups; forming a regular pattern
- to run or move faster than; to exceed a goal; to surpass or outdo
- The ideas or manner of thinking characteristic of an individual or group; esp. the ideas and objectives that influence a whole group of national culture, shaping their political and social procedure.
- to destroy, crush, suppress; to silence; to conceal; to make mute (literally: to strangle)
- capable of taking, receiving, being affected by, or undergoing something
- failure or absence of something; scarcity, defect; imperfection
- constrictive; tightly binding; compelling (in the form of reason); rigorous - coercive
- shamelessly immoral; recklessly prodigal or extravagant
- to offend by an open manifestation of disrespect or insolence.
- violent convulsion or struggle; the agony of death; pains of childbirth.
- the policy of granting concessions to potential enemies to maintain peace.
- [French: aggrandis - to magnify] to widen in scope; to increase in size or intensity; enlarge; extend.
- to delay, postpone [Note: There is another English verb spelled like this one but having a different etymology and meaning, "to submit or yield to the wishes, opinion, or decision of another."]
- firmly resolved or determined; set in purpose or opinion.
- sever in manner or appearance; uncompromising; strict; grave; sober; without excess.
- having a shrill, irritating quality or character.
- extraordinary in size, amount, extent, degree, force, etc.; wonderful or marvelous; abnormal.
- [Latin: ebulliens, pr.part of ebullire -- to bubble out, from "e" -- out + "bullire" -- to bubble/boil] a bubbling or boiling up; an overflow of enthusiasm, high spirits, etc.
- an act or instance of retaliation; the forcible seizure of property or subjects in retaliation.
- [Greek: "an-" -- not + "homalos" -- from "homos" -- the same] deviation or departure from the normal condition or common rule irregularity; abnormality.
- to sink deliberately; to abandon or cause to be destroyed.
- a position or situation from which there is no escape.
You must Login or Register to add cards