Glossary of Vitamin Deficiencies
Created by blandis
- Thiamin Deficiency
- Beriberi- Dry, Wet, Infantile, and Cerebral.
- Riboflavin Deficiency
- Arboflavinosis: inflammation of mouth and tongue. Sores on outside of lips.
- Biotin Deficiency
- Avidin: protein presend in egg whites that binds biotin, making it unavailable for absorption.
-Symptoms: depression, loss of muscle control, and skin irritations.
- Pantothenic Acid Deficiency
- Burning Feet Syndrome: tingling in feet/legs, also fatigue, weakness, and nausea.
- Vitamin B6 Deficiency
- Microcytic Anemia: Results in small cells.
-Symptoms: depression, confusion, irritability
- Folate/Folic Acid Deficiency
- Macrocytic Anemia: increased cardiovascular disease risk and fetal malformations.
- Vitamin B12 Deficiency
- Pernicious Anemia: autoimmune disease caused by vitamin B12 deficiency due to lack of intrinsic factor.
Intrinsic Factor: protein produced by exocrine cells in gastric pits of the stomach, need for B12 absorption.
- Vitamin C Deficiency
- Scurvy: bleeding gums.
Bleeding: blood vessels.
Poor wound healing.
Decrease immune system.
- Vitamin K Deficiency
- Antibiotics impact formal normal flora bacteria (living in large intestine). Also, Vitamin K injection- new borns.
- Vitamin E Deficiency
- Rare- Hemolytic Anemia: affect red blood cells.
- Vitamin D Deficiency
- Sunscreen: still need Vit. D from the sun.
Rickets: (KIDS) bones become soft- bow legs.
Osteomalacia: (ADULTS) soft bones.
Osteoporosis: (WOMEN) brittle bones.
- Vitamin A Deficiency
- Vitamin A Deficiency Disorder (VADD):
-Mucus decreased production
-Skin: "goose flesh"- hard/scaley.
You must Login or Register to add cards