Glossary of Vacab Workshop Unit 2
Created by hiyoshiptashiwa
- a citizen of another country
Movies about aliens from outer space have been extremely popular for decades.
An alien species of plant or animal can upset the balance of an ecosystem.
- having a pleasing appearance
The proud parents and their comely children posed for family portrait.
- to make up for
to repay for services
The manufacturer was ordered to compensate customers injured by the defective product.
- not regular or consistent
different from what is ordinarily expected
Students who have an erratic attendance record may find themselves disciplined by the principle.
- the process of driving or forcing out
The story of the expulsion of Adam and Eve from the Garden of Eden is told in Genesis
- to strengthen
The soldiers fortified the garrison against the expected attack.
- difficult or impossible to read
The effects of air pollution have rendered the inscriptions on many old gravestones illegible.
- to make fun of rudely or unkindly
a rude remark of derision
To jeer at someone with a disability is absolutely inexcusable.
Umpired and other referees quickly became immune to the jeer of angry fans.
- bringing in money
Many people find that they can turn a favorite hobby into a highly lucrative business.
- to reproduce, increase or spread rapidly
Because malignant cells proliferate, early detection of cancer is absolutely crucial to successful treatment.
- to conquer by force,bring under complete control
"We must act quickly" the general said, "in order to subjugate the rebel forces."
- to soil,stain,tarnish,defile, besmirch
The Watergate scandal sullied the image of politicians in the minds of many voter.
- to tease, torment by teasing
When I am on a diet, the treats in bakery windows seen to have been put there to tantalize me.
- brief and to point
The manuscript for my short story was returned to me with a terse letter of rejection.
showing no signs of fear
not drawing back
Everyone admires the unflinching courage with which firefighters and other rescue workers carry out their dangerous jobs.
- STUFY FEINT
- STUDY FODDER
- STUDY DISSOLUTE
- STUDY MEDIOCRE
- STUDY PROLIFERATE
- The meeting was____________for a week.
The meeting was______________until the following week.
When dinner was over they________to the seating room.
- An Englishman is an ________in the USA.
These principles are______to our religion.
Cruelty was quite________to his nature.
- He received $50000 in__________ for the laws of his right hand.
He received $500 by the way of ____________ for the loss of his right hand.
She received $500 as a ____________ for the lost of her right hand.
- To lead a _________life.
- _______________of a student from college.
an____________order: official order, expelling a person from a country.
- Make a____________of doing something.
Make a ___________at something.
Make a ______________upon something.
Make a _________-against something.
- _____________a town against an enemy.
___________someone against the cold (ex. wearing a fur coat).
_____________ed with the rights of the church prepared by having to received the sacraments, for death.
- __________at a defended enemy.
________at the speaker.
- Quality of being____________.
Person who is___________.
A government of_________crities.
- STUDY SULLY
- a__________________smell of food
You must Login or Register to add cards