Glossary of Sociology terms
Created by buckypack
- activities of daily living (ADLs)
- Personal care activities, including bathing, dressing, getting into and out of bed, walking indoors, and using the toilet.
- Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC)
- A federal program of financial assistance to low-income families, commonly known as "welfare" until it was replaced by Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) in 1996
- Maintenance payments from an ex-husband to an ex-wife.
- androgynous behavior
- Behavior that has the characteristics of both genders.
- assigned kinship
- Kinship ties that people more or less automatically acquire when they are born or when they marry.
- assortative marriage
- The tendency of people to marry others similar to themselves.
- authoritarian style (of parenting)
- A parenting style in which parents combine low levels of emotional support with coercive attempts at control of their children.
- authoritative style (of parenting)
- A parenting style in which parents combine high levels of emotional support with consistent, moderate control of their children.
- The acknowledged rigth of someone to supervise and control others' behavior.
- baby boom
- The large number of people born during the late 1940s and 1950s.
- In Native American societies, a man or woman who dressed like, performed the duties of, and behaved like a member of the opposite sex.
- bilateral kinship
- A system in which descent is reckoned through both the mother's and father's lines.
- biosocial approach (to gender differences)
- The theory that gender identification and behavior are based in part on people's innate biological differences.
- block grant
- A fixed amount of money that the federal government gives each state to spend on a set of programs.
- boundary ambiguity
- A situation in which people are uncertain about who is in thier family and what roles these people play.
- care work
- Face-to-face activity in which one person meets the needs of another who cannot fully care for her- or himself.
- centralizing women
- Women who specialize in maintaining the links of kinship.
- child abuse
- Serious physical harm (trauma, sexual abuse with injury, or willful malnutrition) of a child by an adult, with intent to injure.
You must Login or Register to add cards