Glossary of Science- Chapter 6
Other Decks By This User
- Which of the following temperatures is NOT possible?
2 k, -100 c, -274 f, -5 k
- -5 k
- Which of the following does NOT describe an external combustion engine?
The fuel is burned outside the engine, It converts heat energy to mechanical energy, Pistons move inside cylinders, An example is and automobile engine
- An example is an automobile engine
- temperature is a measure of the average __________ of each particle within an object.
Kinetic energy, State, Heat, Conduction
- Kinetic Energy
- Which of these is NOT a way of transferring heat?
Conduction, Convection, Radiation, Insulation
- Radiation is the transfer of energy by
Convection currents, Direct contact, Electromagnetic waves, Evaporation
- Electromagnetic Waves
- Specific heat is the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of
1 joule of a substance by 1 kelvin, 1 kilogram of a substance by 1 kelvin, 1 kilogram of a substance by 1 joule, 1 gram of a substance by 1 degrees F
- 1 Kilogram of a substance by 1 Kelvin
- Liquids have
no definite volume and no definite shape, Definite volume but no definite shape, definite volume and definite shape, definite shape but no definite volume
- Definite volume but no definite shape
- Which of the following is NOT a change of state?
Water flowing, Water boiling, Ice cream melting, Dew condensing
- Water flowing
- A substance generally expands when its _______ increases
Specific heat, Melting point, Conduction, Thermal energy
- Thermal energy
- Absolute zero is
273 k, 0 k, 373 k, -273 k
- 0 k
- ___________ is the total energy of all of the particles in a substance.
- Thermal energy
- The movement when heated fluid rises and is replaced by a cooloer fluid is called a(n) ____________________ current.
- The temperature at which a solid changed to a liquid is its _____________.
- Melting point
- A strip of two different metals joined together and often used in thermostats is called a(n) ________________.
- Bimetallic strip
- A(n) _______________ is a device that transfers thermal energy from a cool region to a warm region.
You must Login or Register to add cards