Glossary of Phenom Final
Other Decks By This User
- in Lambournes study amt of kids treated by pediatric specialist with NO fear of dental treatment
- (Lamboune) what causes kids reduction in fear when being treated by pediatiric dentist?
- pediatric drs see pts more often
pediatiric dr consistantly reward good behavior
pediatric dr spends more time interacting with pt
pediatric drs are trained in unique behavior techniques (perceive fear, show empathy, involve pt)
- (Lamboune) Which is better no reward or a periodic reward for reducing childs anxiety?
either do reward consistantly or none at all
- True or False, Dental anxiety in children is lower when treated by a pediatric specialist.
- Lambourne. What should pediatric dentists do to build relationship w/pt?
- have an increased number of routine checkups
- Corbin- does gender play a role in determining dental anxiety?
- no gender does not play a role
- corbin-what has the highest positive correlation between self consciousness and dental anxiety?
- public self consciousness
- corbin - how can dentist treat or prepare to handle self-consciousness in their pts?
- take psc classes
keep psc books in office
have psc pamphlets available
set up monthly dental anxiety grps for pts
what is a pts response to stress in dental situations?
- corbin- public self consciousness
- conscious of aspects of oneself that are public
- corbin does self consciouss cause dental anxiety?
- no just contributes
are depressive symptoms associated with tooth brushing frequency?
- yes as depression increaeses tooth brushing decreases
who felt more need for dental treatment, healthy people are people with depressive symptomes?
- people w/depressive symptoms felt need for dental treatment more often than those wo
is there an association between dental check up frequency and anxiety?
- smith What is the releationship between depression, toothbrushing, and dental visits?
- people w/depression brushed their teeth and went to dentist less
what do pts want dr to wear?
- dress atire
80% of pts said what about appearance?
- it affected pts expectations of care, comfort and anxiety level
how did distance pt lived from school affect what attire they favor
- the closer the people live to the school the more likely they favor formal attire
what does professionalism include?
- appearance, behavior, conversation
in dental schools, who did pts most prefer where formal attire?
why is obesity pertinent to dental clincian?
- 30% of americans are obeses
obese pts have many med cond.
obese pts are subj. to public disapproval
obesity impact on anesthetics
- obesity increase the level of difficulty in achieving regional anesthetic block
behavioral characteristic of child abuse survivors
- reluctant to trust others
increased sensitvity to critism
difficulty asserting themselves
survivors of child sexual abuse othen have problems associated w/lack of control during dental apts. what is a method to help w/ this?
- dr shoud inform pt of procedures being performed
percent of populaton that is exposed to child hood sexual abuse
- 15-30% of females
smell of latex gloves and recling in dental chair are often problems for what kin of pts?
- pts who have gone through sexual abuse
survivors of childhood sexual abuse can be characterised by which of the following?
% of adult pop that fear dental treat ment
% of adults with phobia or debilitiating fear of dentist
- help pt feel calm by dentist's behavior, attitude and communicative stance
- uses relaxation to counteract and weaken connection between anxiety provoking response and stimulus
- 2 fold
alter and restructure content of neg cognitions and aim to enhance control over thoughts
what is extreme anxiety and fear associated w/ object?
what can be done for fearful pts to incresase frequency of denal visits to improve oral health?
- eclectic approach
during inital onset of panic disorder what are panic attacks brough on by?
they do NOT seem to be brought on by any external stimulus
what happens during panic attack?
- increase symp
% of pts of PD that have major depressive episode?
why do 50-60% of pts of PD have depressive episode?
- bc constant fear and social embarassment of haing PA in public
why dont people want to take SSRIs
- bc decrease sexual libido
hear condition often associated with panic disorder
- mitral valve prolapse
50=60% of pts with PD have major depressive episodes, of these how many atempt suicide?
frankyl behavior rating scale
- grps on child cooperation into 4 broad categories 1-4
behavior eval scale
- 37 distinct mannerism of kid
problem w/ putting mannerism into category during dental treatment
is there a scale tody that is implemented daily in pediatric dentistry?
what was used in creating decision tree?
- behavior eval scale
frankl's behavor rating scale
whay is main focus of decison tree?
- to anticipate child rxn to dental treatment
the worrier grp showed scoring their own breath as what compared to impartial judges?
- negatively correlated to what impartial judges scored it
body image has what characteristic?
- intertwined w/feelings of self
affects the way pts feel about surroundings'
can be socially influenced
affect pts behavior
the bad breath paradox leaves many people unable to do what?
- realize their breath stanks or doesn't
- amt of people in US with dental anxiety?
- 30-40 million
- What is the main reason why the prediction of success of behavior modification techniques is important for dentists?
- pts prone to fail behvaioral modification therapy can be refered for other modes of treatment so dont waste time which could casue more damage
- what affects success/failure of behavioral modificaition therapy?
- poor attention control
initial dental anxiety level
- greatest predictor of pts prone to fail behavioral modification therapy
- poor attention control
circle of dental anxiety
law of Jante
- dont think you are better than I am
what foolows fear and anxiety in circle of dental anxiety?
- avoidance of dental care
What comes w/embarrassement of teeth?
- self punishment
secrecy or taboo thinking
poor self image
what phenomena was percieved as number of years of dental care avoidance increased?
- exaggerated perception of tooth damage that was not as visible as pts percieved
what two models of dental care delivery were discussed?
and there is no difference between 2 in what pt likes better
how much do dentists get asked questions about internet?
- 1/2 of dentists
majority say it happens once a month
why dont dentists refer pts to internet sites?
- bc lack of knowledge about appropriate sites
problem with internet
- give public confidence to challenge dentist
change dr/pt relationship
pts demand inappropriate care
what is one advantage of internet?
- amplify pts role in managing oral health care
what is topic most read about on internet and asked about to dentist?
- cosmetic procedures
% of TMD with psychological diagnosis
what critical thing must be done before referring pt to a mental health professional?
- consultation w/pt to obtain their permission to make such a referral
4 pt types
- mild form of generalized anxiety
specific dental phobia
interfering psychiatric symptoms
hi treatment needs
ways to reduce anxiety
- tell show do
problem with substance abusers?
- hard to numb
as a dr, why is it important for you to understand xerostomia?
- side effect of 400 meds
pattern seen in pts w/ bulimia?
- erosion of linual max anteriors
why is it important for you to obsere signs of tarditive dyskinesia?
- bc you might be the pts first line of defense in reversing a permanent condtion
worst option for a pt w/only slight anxiety
- providing intravenous sedation
for pts with hi treatment needs which approach is best to help them w/ fear-avoidance-pain cycle?
- a holistic approach
coping strategies you can teach pt
bracing for it
symptoms of LLLD
- fixed facial paralysis
burning in oral mucosa
complication of taking meds for LLD
- grinding teeth
when counseling LLD pts what should you do?
- bring in family members when discussing oral hygeine
how can dentist be first line of defense with LLD?
- catch early signs such as increased decay
notice decrease in oral health
drugs given to LLD pts
who do most dentist want to treat?
- women 20-25
when doing dentures, what shoud be done at first apt?
- make sure they have your confidence
why do elderly require more attention
- medical disorders
inability to perform tasks
lack of motivation
appropriate measure to take when treating geriatric pt
- ask specific questions to ID pt attitude
what helps reduce pts fear in dental office?
- properly infroming pts of procedures
although levels of dental anxiety has not changed significantly over the past half century, many believe progress is being made bc....
- anxiety in general has increased dramatically
percent of pts who rate dentist as excellent in showing care
why are pts more satisfied with dental care?
- less threatening treatment
cottage stycle practice
efforts on part of dental hlth care workers
what is a factor that would cause public distrust in dentist?
- changing diagnosis from dentist to dentist
how many times more likely is that a kid after extraction will be scared of dentist?
- dental anxiety
finding on dental anxiety encourage dentist to do what?
- max pts comfort during procedures
minimize pts stress
empahsize importance of frequenct dental check ups
treat pt w/ care
modeling is a form of what type of learning?
- indirect learning
what contributes to an individual in making a decision?
- negative information
what parenting style to only one to be related to hi dental fear amongst children
- self complaints
the dental fear amongst parents has greatest influence when?
- at childs fear of entering first dental visit
what was found in pts w/sever dementia?
- there dentures did not fit
60% of them did not even wear their dentures
main complication w/ study in nursing homes
- many were edentulous so hard to compare individuals
- impairment of intellect, memory, and personality
when measuring behavioral factors that would relate to dental fear in kids what would one observe
by observing diff behavioral factors in kids relating to dental fear you can conclude what?
- dental fears are formed from diff ways by diff personalities in pediatric pts
what should you do when pediatirc pt with dental fear enters your practice?
- observe type of personality and fear and approach accordingly
- what should we do to hlp pts become educated about treatment plans?
- give them knowledge so they feel comfy w/decision they are making
is socioeconomic a big facotor in oral health of kids?
a parental perception of child as well behaved and easy is likely to correlate to which observation?
- poor oral health
- what are perceptions are suggested by a hi child domain score?
difficult to control
what age does american academ of pediatric dentistry recommended a childs first visit?
- age one
what is the greatest factors that affects childs oral health?
- age of parent
lo child domain score
age of child
why is it important to recognize signs of LLD?
- bc baby boomer generation entering age grp causing major hlth concern
pts who have over come LLD are at risk for waht?
- 60% chance of relapse
primary care dr could be instrumental w/sucicide avoidance. why?
- bc 75% of suicides had visited dr wi month and 39% wi same week
- LLD that is most successful wo side effects
- psychotherapeutic intervention
40% of elderly pts qualify for LLD when....
- they have chronic face pain or burning oral mucosa
due to lo oral hygiene motivation, most important dental managemnt technique for pts with LLD is what?
- preventive dentistry
dentists who give comprehensive treatment of perio disease incorporate what into their healthcare?
- patients perspective
effects of perio
- decrease mood
increases financial load
decrease willingness to smile
illnesses associated with perio
- respiratory disease
what happens to pt mood if perio disease improves?
- pt anxiety levels decrease
pts reported that their perio disease and symptoms did what do appearance?
- detracted from physical appearance
most hi stressor for dentist
- running behind schedule
what is female communication based on?
what is male communication based on?
assistant relations w/female dentists
- friendly w/focus on personal attention
assistant relation w/male dentists
- gender based
problem w/female dentists being buddy buddy with assistant
- role confusion
- differences in first year dental students.
what two things do men and women have in common?
- both want money and family
who are more prone to be associates, men or women?
pts who are resistant to forms of distraction.
- sexual/phys abuse or pts who are claustrophobic
who was audiovisuals not effective on?
- gag reflex
what do most pts want dentist to be?
why dont drs give pts modified dental anxiety scale?
- bc they are afreaid it would harm relationship with pt and it will take too much time.
both of these are false tho
- inherited abnormal enamel formation
demographics for people w/AI
- less likely to marry, have kids, be satisfied with education and job
many have not finished high school but they have more education beyond high school
- if pt has TMD and many non physical symptoms, what is likely?
bc use somatization against depression
what are people w/dentures more likely to do?
- complain of oral function
report poor hlth status
less dental apts
hi depression rates
what varies w/denture wearing?
- education and income
NOT sex or age
what is oral function limitations associated with?
- AGE and INcome
- acquesition of new behavior through the imitation of observed behavior
form of indirect learning
- people give more attention to neg leaning
form of indirect learning
3 factors that significantly predict liklihood of failure of behavior modification therapy
- poor attention
initial dental anxiety
(mainly poor attention control)
purpose of study on audiovisual distraction
- eval the effect of audiovisual distraction on pt reported w/ hi anxiety levels and pain during prophy
result of AV distraction
- pts in study loved treatment w/av googles
av stimulation during treatment was found to be beneficail for pts who suffered from...
- mild to moderate dental anxiety levels
most common cause of dental anxiety
what do female dentists need to have awareness of?
what desensitization treatment grps showed most success?
- systematic desensitization
what was the criteria for success?
- pt saw dentist regularly after 3 years
whay is best thing a dentist can do to earn pts trust?
describe universal access to care
- makes access to dental care more equal between SES
it is found in Canada, england,and euope
dentists are employed by gov
gov sets the fee rate
dmfs index is a measure of what?
- caries expereince
on avg women work how much compared to men?
- similiar hrs/wk and wks/yr
- in general married women work more or less than men
- work less hrs/wk then men
what women worked similiar hrs as men did?
- younger unmarried women and older married women
what decreases disparities among ethnical grp?
- providers awareness of disparities among ethnic grps
what can reduce racial disparities in care
- increasing providers awareness
cross cultural ed in dental schools
IOM 2002 report
- it was produced at request of congress and it led to many changes in medical field education, private, and corporate.
what stated that disparities in care do exist in dental field?
- 2000 surgeon general report report oral hlth
what are factors affecting differing presentation of symptoms among various ethnic grps?
- literacy and level of empowerment
what is recommended for dental profession to reduce occurrence of disparities in dental care?
- use of interpretation servieces in dntal clinics
increase rep. of minorities in faculty and student body
revision of accreditation cross cultural ed stad
what race of US is expected to increase the most in next 50 yrs?
barriers to oral health care
- lack of knowledge about prevention of oral hlt diseas
misdistribution of dentist geographically
lo reimbursement rates for public programs like medicatid
what are main reasons for improved oral health?
- Fl water
increase number of kids sealants
what plays vital role in serving the underserved?
- academic dental institutions
what grp has an underrepresented number of dentist?
- hispanic and african americans
who interacts better w/ staff male or female dentist?
- male had better communiation and working relationships w/staff
why is communication research among dentist and office staff essential?
- bc at the center of job dissatificationi is poor communication
grp of denatl assistants most vulnerable to communication stereotypes
- young assistants
what kind of graduate does the commission on dental accreditiation charge dental schools to produce?
- competent on principles of ethical reasoning and having professional responsibility as they pertain to pt care and practice management
what was most often identified ethical issue by 4th year dental students?
- pt lack of resources
among what grp of pts did 4th year dental students NOT report a lack of resources as being most common issue?
4th year dental students reported what as ethical dilemmas when treating pediatric pts
- absent/unclear surrogates for making decisions
lack of resoursces
caregivers neglect dental care
compare symptoms of depression and non specific physical symptoms seen in asians with TMD vs. caucasians
- symptoms of depression and NPS are lower in asians
asians with TMP are non compliant sometimes. why?
- bc of depression and somatization
why do pts not report psychological disturbances?
- societal stigma
how did self assessment of oral hygeine begaviors differ between stressed grp and control grp throughouut study?
- there was no differenct between 2 grps self assessment of oral hygiene begaviors throughour course of study
what suggestion was made to stressed individuals regarding oral hygiene behaviors?
- stressed pts should compnesate for such conditions by adusting oral hygiene
in study how did OH manifest in an examinees mouth?
- by plaque index and bleeding pts
oral function limitations were shown to be significantly associated with:
- age and income
what % of people w/complete dentures had not seen a dentist in over a year?
parts of ADA principle of ethics
- pt autonomy
what expresses concept that professionals have duty to protect pt from harm?
what princple promotes truthfulness
how many major ethical codes are there?
best reason that dentist should inform pt about treatment is bc....
- it is their legal obligation for dentist to obtain pts informed consent to treatment
would pt rather have info or be involved in decision making process?
- pt would rather have information
one reason pt showed reduction in anxiety
- bc dentist may have been more aware of pts feelings than normal
a good way to eval pt state of anxiety would be to give a.....
why is evaling pt anxiety before and after treatment beneficial?
- to gauge your ability to reduce pts state anxiety
a result of dentists being aware of possible state anxieties causes...
- a reduction in state of anxiety of pt
purpose of doing state anxiety tests
- test effect on state anxiety by informing primary care dentist
what defense mechanism did students use to justify cheating?
ways to decrease cheating
- indivdualized exams
restructure social consequenc
what is basic problem of cheating according to article?
- society's construct of success
what level of esthetics embraces rules of symmetry the golden proportion?
- basic or classical level
most important characteristic of restoration
first step dr should do when pt wants esthetic work done instead of traditional procedures?
- give info and MC
when considering procedure, which one should be encouraged?
- less invasive
what is most significant difference found in those with AI compared to those without
- reduced quality of life with reguard to dental issues
what is not a theme linked to dental students motivation for choosing dentistry
what is chosen by men to be motivating factor for chooseing dentistry?
- I want to be self employed
which of following themes did women and men both score equally in for choosing dentistry?
- flexibilty and money
- brad williams
why did women score lower that men in business category?
- bc women want families not bussinesses
- genetic disorder
failure of teeth to form
what is a con to policy proposed that only families at risk should be offered genetic testing?
- violates societal norms about abortion
- biological rxn to any adverse stimulus that disturbs homeostatis
- symptoms of depression
- depressed mood
sig weight change
thoughts of death
- effects of having only lo demands for a short period of time
- gradual erosion of person
- stressors in dentistry
fear of mistakes
- most common physical disorder in dentists
- back pain
- quality of stress
- inspires people to try harder
- profession w/highest burn out
- general dentist
- stress management tecniques
improve intrapersonal skills
- how do dentists cope w/burnout?
- change routine to adopt more flexible schedule
You must Login or Register to add cards