Glossary of PHI 101
Created by kimlongtrieu
- Love of Wisdom, aquisition of knowledge, truth
Critera of right throught/ action
- 469 BC
Search for truth "corrupt young, didnt believe athenian gods"
- Famous of all philosphers
Student of Socrates
Important source of Socrates philosophy.
- Socrates Philosophy
- Way of life - Search of Truth
"to live life without examininig is unthinkable"
Self examiniation of life is more important than survival
Philosophy - Examination of Human life
- Socrates view of Lang/World
- Parallel between language and world
World has superficial appearance in senses and true appearance in reason
- Example of Socrates view of dual appearnce of world
- stick in water, look bent
reflection of light creates the false appeareance.
- Socrates and Thrasymachus
Made Thrasmachus admit
People who are weak act in strong
Weak dont act in weak
- How should we live a good live
Whether unexmained life is worth living
- Early Philosophers
- Early Scientists
Little writing survived
- Milesian Philosophy
- Everything in the world is divided into four categories: Earth, water, air, fire
Thales - WATER
Quesiton- Van various realities of the world be unified by 1 element
- Roman philospoher
- Milesian Philosoper
- Everything in the universe is from air
- Study of the universe
- Reflects the study of the natural principles which cause the existence of the universe the way it is
- Study of human nature
- Reflects the study of the principles which explain the human nature ex; human behavior, mind, desire, conscience.
- two principles that connect between human and universe philosophies
- underlying order exhibited by the operation of a power of reason.
Everything in the universe is in orderly manner bound by reason."
Bridge between human nature and universe
Developed by Stoics
God is reason
- God levels
- Cosmic level
Indisidual human level
- Cosmic level
- Power of reason determines the existence, nature and relative positions of eveyr component, in the universe.
- Social level
- Power of reason determines the social order from king to ordinary people
- Individual level
- The same principle determines the order of rational, passional and appetitive elements of the soul.
- Uniquness of humans
- Posessing power of reasoning, spark of logos
- 3 Primary orders
- Indiviual Human Order
- RAtionaly passion and appetitive represent diff forms of human soul.
- Resides in intellect
- Resides in our senses
- resides in our vegatative state
- Marcus Aurelius
- Great roman emperor
- Marcus Stoic theme
- Universe = one being have inteligence
Intelligence of the universe is social
All things in the universe are implicated with one another
- Marcus reasons
- Why is intelligence social?
The universe as one living being having most superior rank has created other inferior things with different grades of inferiority to serve its prupose,
having everything is subordination, maintains rational order.
- Links in universe
- Holy, because order of the universe is due to cordination of things by reason
- theory of knowledge
Knowledge of universe is a common platfom
- Knowing process
- Mind presents us knowledge through
- What we know
- Is unlimited in the universe
cant achieve what we know without, how we know( process of thinking)
- How we know
- Has implication of what we know with respect to knowledge
- 17-18 century philosophers
- implicates knowledge obtained by reason
- Implicated knowledge obtained by our senses
You must Login or Register to add cards