Glossary of OD 711
Created by jgreysla
- Gingival margin
- The edge of the gingiva along the tooth surface.
- Free gingiva
- The portion of the gingiva that surrounds the tooth and si not directly attached to the tooth surface.
- Attached gingiva
- portion of gingiva firmly bound to the tooth and alveolar process
- Alveolar Mucosa
- The mucosa that covers the bone apical to the attached gingiva.
- Mucogingival line
- the junction of the attached gingiva and the alveolar mucosa
- Gingival sulcus
- The groove between the surface of the tooth and the epithelium lining the free gingiva
- Gingival pocket
- a gingival sulcus deepened by pathological conditions, caused by gingival enlargement without destruction of the periodontal tissue
- Periodontal pocket
- a gingival sulcus deepened into the periodontal ligament apically to the original level of the resorbed alveolar crest.
- CAL (Clinical attachment loss)
- probing depth + free gingival margin = CAL
- Furcation Grades 1, 2 & 3
- loss of attachment allow a probe to slip between the roots. Grade 1: probe enters between roots up to 3mm. Grade 2: moderate probe enters more than 3mm but not to the lingual side. Grade 3: probe enters lingual side between roots
- Tooth mobility 1, 2 & 3
- 1: combined factial/lingual movement totals 1mm
2: combined totals 2mm
3: 3mm or more of the tooth is depressible into socket
- Embrasure Space
- Triangular space defined by contact, mesial, distal & bone of two adjacent teeth.
- Loss of tooth structure due to mechanical wear
- Loss of tooth structure due to mechanical wear occurs on cervical area of tooth
- Loss of tooth structure due to chemical exposure.
- Class I Caries
- Carries affecting pits and fissures, on occlusal, buccal, and lingual surfaces of posterior teeth, and lingual surface of anterior teeth.
- Class II Carries
- Affecting proximal surfaces of molars and premolars.
- Class III Caries
- Caries affecting proximal surfaces of central incisors, lateral incisors, and canines.
- Class IV Caries
- Affecting proximal including incisal edges of anterior teeth
- Class V Caries
- Affecting gingival 1/3 of facial or lingual surfaces of anterior or posterior teeth.
- Class VI Caries
- Caries affecting cusp tips of molars, premolars, and canines.
You must Login or Register to add cards