Glossary of Mr. Horning 2nd 9 Week Exam - Period 3
Created by horningm
Other Decks By This User
- A gov\'t where one person (usually a king) inherits power - MH
THIS WAS THE FIRST TYPE OF GOV'T IN THE GREEK CITY-STATES - MH
- painting in gupta empire
- the paintings were often done on long scrolls or on walls of caves-ch-drb
- Persian War-This battle was fought on water
- The battle of Salamis-ZC,C.E.S.
- Who was the major figure of Buddhism?
- The Buddha/ Prince Siddhartha. E.C.
- What was the battle name that ended the Persian Wars
- Battle of Plataea-C.E.S,ZC
- Persian War-This battle had 300 Spartans die
- The battle of Thermopylae-ZC,C.E.S.
- Mathematics in the GUPTA EMPIRE
- had created a way of writing whole numbers using the numerals 1 through 9.-ch-drb
- A TYPE OF GOVERNMENT WHERE ONE PERSON(USUALLY FROM THE MILITARY) SEIZES POWER ILLEGALLY-SE,AC
- Persian War-This battle was the first battle fought between the Persians and the Greeks
- Battle of Marathon-C.E.S,ZC
- Who was king Ashoka?
- An indian leader who used buddhist values to unify India. EA,AA
- Chp 17 - What are King Ashoka's 4 main edicts?
- 1. Buddhist vaules
- How did Ashoka embrace Buddhism?
- *Supported the Buddhist values of love, peace, and non-violence.
*He respected all living things.
*He gave up hunting and became a strict vegetarian.
*He gave up war of conquest. EA AA
- What is a monk?
- A holy man who devotes his life to religious practice. EA,AA
- What was king Ashokas edicts written on?
- Walls, rocks, and tall pillars in public places so that the greatest number of people could see them. EA,AA
- According to the eight fold path what was the right way to earn a living?
- By not working at a job that causes harm to people or living creatures. E.C.
- chp 31 - who was herodotus
- He was know as the father history-DR-EM
- chp 31-how did they improve there building structure
- they made fancy triangular shaped roofs AND columns - EM/DR
- Persian War-The Persians captured this Greek colony
- The Ionions-ZC,C.E.S
- According to the four noble truths, Suffering is caused by ________?
- Cravings, desires and wants.
- metal works in the gupta empire
- gupta kings controlled huge mines of gold.-ch-drb
- what lands did alexander conquered
- what r egypt ,the persian empire,and macedonia NH DS
- how did alexander the great die
- he died from a swamp fever
- what did he make the persians believe
- he made them believe that he was a god NH DS
- Which one of the Eight fold paths is to promote good actions and prevent evil actions?
- Right Effort. E.C.&T.B.
- According to the Four Noble Truths Suffering is in all things and nothing ___________?
- Lasts forever.
- A FORM OF GOVERNMENT IN WHICH RULING POWER IS SHARED BY ALL CITIZENS
- ONE OF SEVERAL PEOPLE WHO RULE A COUNTRY OR EMPIRE TOGETHER, SHARING THE POWER - SE/AC
- What does Golden Age mean
- A Time Of Prosperity and achievements-C.E.S.
- In the Gupta Empire, How were Roads made?
- with packed dirt-T.B. & *C.E.S.*
- Gupta Empire-Most sculptures were made of ____.
- sculptures in the gupta empier
- gupta sculptures portrayed the human form simply and gracefully. an one example is a sculpture of the river deitly.-cs
- Who won in the battle of Marathon?
- Greece. E.C.
- What trick did the Greeks use in the Battle of Salamis?
- They used a narrow sea channel and rammed their ships. E.C.
- what was the 3 ways prince siddhartha saw suffering
- 1. old people
2. people in pain
3. death of people
- Persian Wars-What colony was captured by the Persians???
- The Ionians-ZC
- What city-state has the best navy?
- Why were the Persian Wars important?
- It preserved Greek independents and it kept Persia from conquering all of Europe. E.C& T.B.
- Define direct democracy.
- Every free citizen can vote directly on the laws - ZC
This was the type of democracy in Greece - they voted at the assembly using white and black stones - MH
- Define representative democracy.
- Free citizens vote for a representative who votes on the laws for them - ZC
This is the type of gov\'t in the United States (we used this to choose our movie incentive) - MH
- Chp 16 - What are two main teachings of Buddhism?
- Four Noble Truths
Eightfold Path leads to enlightenment
- Chp 17 - How did King Ashoka help spread Buddhism?
- He wrote Buddhist values in his edicts which were posted on tall pillars around his kingdom - AA
Gave up wars of conquest to live a Buddhist life - EA
He sent missionaries to other places like the island of Ceylon (Sri Lanka) to spread the religion - MH
- Chp 30 - How did Alexander help spread Greek culture?
- Built Greek-style cities - NH
Made all of the gov\'t officials and army guards speak only Greek - CS/NH
- Chp 31 - What are some examples of Greek culture we still see today?
Longitude and Latitude
Use plants for medicine
Modern Theater design
- What was the 7 achievements of the Gupta Empire?
- Literature, Mathematics, Roads, Sculpture, Metal Work (coins), Universityies, Paintings. EC
You must Login or Register to add cards