Glossary of Mitosis bio sandall
Created by silver
- A chromatid is one of the two identical copies of DNA making up a chromosome.
- The structure shown in figure 9-1 is a duplicated chromosome.
- . A cell splits into two daughter cells during cytokinesis
- Typically, the longest phase of mitosis is metaphase.
- During Metaphase, the chromosomes gather in the middle.
- . After telophase is completed, the process of mitosis is completed.
- . Cancer is a disease caused by the severe disruption of the mechanisms that normally control the cell cycle.
Prophase is a state of mitosis in which chromatin condenses into chromosomes.
- Most of the cells growth happens during the S phase of the cell cycle.
- A cell’s chromosomes are duplicated during interphase
- Reproduction by simple cell division is called sexual reproduction; wheras the process in which two parents contribute genetic material is called asexual reproduction.
- Cancer is a disease in which some cells lose the ability to control their ________________.
- Rate of division
- . Identify the structure labeled x in figure 9-4.
- What stage is shown in diagram A of figure 9-4?
- Identify the structure labeled Y in figure 9-4?
- spindle fibers
- During which phase(s) of mitosis are structures like these ones shown in figure 9-1 visible?
- prophase and metaphase
- The structures labeled B in figure 9-1 are called ___________.
- Sister chromatids
- The region A in figure 9-1 is called the ________________.
- During which stage of mitosis do nucleoli reappear?
- The first phase of mitosis is called _______________.
- During which phase do spindle fibers form?
- A spindle forms in which phase?
- During ______________, the nucleus and the duplicated chromosomes divide and are evenly distributed, forming two “daughter” nuclei.
- . Which of the following is not a correct statement about the events of the cell cycle? A. the cell grows during G2 phase
B. DNA replicates during S phase
C. Cell division ends with Cytokinesis
D. Interphase is usually the longest phase
- Answer; A
- Together the G1 phase, the S phase, and the G2 phase are called __________________.
- What event occurs during interphase?
- The cell carries out metabolic processes
- Cell division is completed when which step is finished:
- . The structure labeled A in figure 9-3 is called the
- cell plate
- Look at figure 9-3. The process is called
- . Which of the following is a correct statement about the events of the cell cycle? A. The mitosis phase is usually the longest phase
B. DNA replicates during cytokinesis
C. Little happens during the G1 and G2 phases
D. Interphase consi
- Answer : D
- The process in figure 9-3 occurs only in _______________ cells that have just divided
- Which of the following is a phase in the cell cycle?
- Mitosis, G1 and G2
- Which of the following is a phase of mitosis?
- One difference between cytokinesis is that plant cells have a _________________.
- Cell plate
- first phase of mitosis is called?
- What is a malignant tumor?
- a mass of cancer cells
- During which phase of mitosis do the chromosomes line up along the middle of the dividing cell?
- During metaphase each chromosome is connected to a ________________________.
- spindle fiber
- Which of the following is NOT part of mitosis?A. prophase B. metaphase C. telophase D. interphase
- Answer: D
- The order of phases during mitosis:
- Prophase, metaphase, anaphase, telophase
- When during the cell cycle is a cell’s DNA replicated
- S phase
- The cell cycle is:
- series of events that cells go through from “birth” to reproduction
- In the disease _________________, the mechanisms that normally control the cell cycle are disrupted.
You must Login or Register to add cards