Glossary of Light, Sound, and Electricity Science Test
Created by AustinMcRae
- The sun gives off huge amounts of _________ that travel To Earth through the vacuum of space called ________ radiation (EM).
- Electromagnetic Energy,
- EM is _____ energy given off by the sun and other objects
- Most types of EM radiation are ___________
- ___________radiation causes some things to glow and is what gives you sunburn.
- Blacklight or Ultraviolet
- ___________ radiation causes you to feel warm in the sunlight
- Most types of radiation are invisible.
True or False?
- Name two types of EM radiation?
- Gamma rays, -rays, Ultraviolet rays, microwaves, radio waves
- ___________ is a type of EM radiation that you can see.
- Visible loght
- EM radiation can cause changes in matter.
True or False?
- Give an example of EM radiation being changed to other forms of energy.
- solar calculator
- Can EM radiation be changed to other forms of energy?
- Can light start chemical reactions?
If yes, give an example.
Photosynthesis (plant cells store light energy from the sun as chemical energy in chloroform.
- Most chemical reactions that give off light also give off ______.
- _____ is a disturbance that that moves away from its starting point
- Light waves can travel through a _________.
- Vacuum is a region empty of any ____________________.
- Wavelength is ______________________________________________________.
- the distance between the high points of waves
- Light waves are very ________.
- Different colors of light travel at different __________________.
- ___________ is the number of waves produced each second.
- hertz (Hz) is a unit used to measure _____ _______________.
- wave frequency
- _____________ is the bouncing back of light from a surface.
- Any smooth surface that reflects most or all of the light can act as a __________.
- Plane mirror is ______________________________________.
- a mirror that doesn't bend
- Concave mirror is ________________________________________________.
A concave mirror makes images appear ____________.
- a mirror that curves inward in the middle,
- Convex mirror is _________________________________________.
A convex mirror makes images appear ___________.
- a mirror that curves outward at the middle,
- _________________ is the bending of light as it passes from one material to another.
- An example of refraction is a pencil sticking out of a glass of water. You are seeing the top of the pencil through air which is a ___ and the bottom through water which is a ___________.
- Change in speed: light waves _____ _____ as they pass from gas to liquid, causing them to be refracted and _____ _____________.
- slow down,
- Light and Lenses:
A lens is a ____________ transparent object with at least one curved surface.
- __________ lens is thicker in the center than at the edges, brings light rays together at a focal point
- Convex lens causes nearby images to be _________ and ____ ______ _____; farther images are ________ and ____ _______.
right side up,
- ________ lens is thicker on the edges than in the middle and causes rays to spread apart.
- Concave lenses make images look ____ but always ____ ___ __.
right side up
- Infrared light is _________.
- Energy can or cannot be created?
- The Telescope:
___________ telescope uses two lenses that refract light.
(RefRact has 2 Rs so 2 lenses.)
- Reflecting telescope uses a ______ mirror and a lens.
- Simple microscope uses ___ lens
- Compound microscope uses __ convex lenses and a _______.
- Making rainbows: sunlight passing through water droplets ( a natural prism) __________ the light ray into specific colors.
- ROY G. BIV
- red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet
- Opaque means _____________________________________.
- can't be seen through
- Something opaque ________ light is absorbed and ________ is reflected
- _____________ - allows light to pass through (glass, shallow water)
- Something transparent absorbs very _________ light and can reflect __________.
- Translucent lets light pass through but __________ it, colors may be seen but not clearly
- Name of sound:
_____________ are back and forth movements of matter
- ___________ is a form of energy you can hear and that travels in waves.
- Vibrating objects produce ________.
- __________ objects vibrate whatever they touch.
- Length of vibrating objects affect the __________ of the sound made.
- Electrical Energy is produced by __________ ___________.
- electric charges
- _________ electricity is energy that does not move except when it discharges (lightning).
- Current electricity- a constant flow of electric ___________ (lights, flashlight, oven).
- A ___________ circuit is a closed path through which electricity can flow
- Current electricity needs the following:
__________ such as a _________
__________ or wires to carry electric current
a _______ like a bulb, and a
_________ found somewhere along the cicuit to open it.
- S, C, L, S
SOURCE such as a battery
CONDUCTOR or wires to carry current
SWITCH to open the circuit
- When the circuit is ________ the electricity flows
- Series: _________________; if there is a break in the path the current will not flow
- one path for the current
- ______________ is multiple pathways or branches; if there is a brak in a branch, the current ___ flow through another branch
- Types of Energy:
You must Login or Register to add cards