Glossary of L14
Other Decks By This User
- The nerve you will dissect (together with the muscle) in this week's lab is named the ___________ nerve.
- The muscle to used in the experiment this week is called the ________________.
- gastrocnemius muscle
- To measure muscle force, the muscle is attached to a device called a ________ __________ (2 words) that reports a voltage proportional to the force to the A/D converter.
- tension transducer
- The tension response to a single stimulus of the nerve is known as a _______________.
- A single motor neuron and all the muscle fibers that neuron innervates is known as a ________ _________.
- motor neuron
- If the nerve is stimulated repetitively, the maximum force produced is __________ (choose more, less, or the same as) the tension generated by a single stimulus.
- When examined under the microscope, the muscle contains alternating light and dark bands. The dark band is known as the _____ band. The light band is known as the _____ band.
- A/ i
- In the middle of the light band is a line known as the _____ line.
- The repeating unit from one line in one light band to the next line in the next light band is known as the ______________.
- H zone
- The muscle contracts in response to stimulation of the nerve because the nerve terminals liberate a neurotransmitter known as _____________, that binds to receptors in the muscle membrane, depolarizes the muscle membrane past threshold, causing it to gen
- acteylcholine/ action potential
- The major contractile proteins of muscle are known as ________ and ________.
- actin and myosin
- A protein that negatively regulates muscle contraction by preventing interaction between the major contractile proteins is ________________.
- The negative regulation of filament sliding is owed to the release of ________ ions from the _____________ reticulum.
- Ca2+/ sarcoplasmic
- Muscle relaxation occurs when the ______ ions are pumped back into the __________ reticulum.
- Ca2+/ sarcoplasmic
- The amount of tension generated by a muscle can be varied by the nervous system by determining the number of simultaneously active ________ units and the _________ at which each of these units is firing.
- motor/ frequency
- The maximum response of a muscle to repetitive stimulation is known as a ________.
You must Login or Register to add cards