Glossary of Journalism Word Usage
Other Decks By This User
- about/approximately NOT
- receive, undertake, agree to
- accused of NOT
- accused with
- Amendments, ordinances, resolutions and rules are...
- adopted or apporoved
- Bills are
- Laws are
- n: opinion, recommendation
- v: to give advice
- v: to influence
- v: to cause, to bring about
- afterward NOT
- to add to, to increase
I aggravated the salt
- to annoy
She irritates me.
- a person who believes it is immpossiible to know whether there is a God
- a person who believes there is no God
- to help
- an assistant
The health care aide gives great advice.
- all right NOT
- allude to
- to speak of something without specifically mentioning it
She alluded to the fact that the test would be hard
- dodge, escape
She eluded the police
- refer to
- to mention it directly
She refered to the poster in her presentation.
- an indirect reference
- an unreal or false impression
- a lot NOT
- in a church
- to change
- adv: wholly, entirely
You are altogether to funny.
- all together
- adj: in a group
They were all together in school.
- male singular
- male plurual or group of men and women
- female singular
- female plurual
- more than two
The argument was among Sarah, Jessica and Eve.
The argument was between me and lucy.
- has wings, financial backer
- mathematics, point of view
- settle, adjest, proper order
- answer an indictment, a legal term
- arrested on NOT
- arrested for
He was arrested on the charge of murder.
- a politically motivated killer
- anyone who kills with a motive of any kind
- one who is convicted of murder in a court of law
- v: to help
- n: helpers
- hobby, pleausre
My avocation is reading.
- business, profession, occupation
My vocation is teaching.
- When is a while used?
- when preceeded by for
Sit down for a while.
- When is awhile used?
- when it is not preceeded by for
sit down awhile.
- balence is not synonymous with
- remainder or rest of
- foolish or exaggerated talk
- the suasage or luncheon meat
- to expose
- by the side of, next to
- in addition to, other than
- a fair
Our church held a bazaar for charity.
- a coalition of person, a group with the same goal.
- do not confuse bloc with _?
- with a wedding
- horse headgear, restrain, an expression of pride, scorn or pique
- a concealed listening device designed to pick up sounds in a room or automoblie.
- a device attached to a telephone circuit to puck up conversations on the line.
- law or rule particularly of a chruch
- weapon or gun
- cannot NOT
- can not
- can hardly NOT
- can't hardly
- city, money, capital letter
- building with a dome in WAshington, Montgomery etc.
- the cloth, or what you paint on
- to solicit, seek out, sift
i canvass for the MArch of dimes.
- center on NOT
- centered around or revovled around
- single out, bring forward
- see, view
- part of a sentence
- animal toenails
- noun or adj:
The cleanup was held in the park.
- clean up
Go clean up your room!
- texture, not refined
- direction, study of
- collide is only used when...
- both of the objects are in motion
The truck and car collied on the highway.
- struck is used when
- one object is in motion and the other is stationery.
The car struck the dumpster at 90 m/h.
- admire, praise
- full quantity, number
Your shirt complements that skirt nicely.
- moral sense
My conscience tells me this is not right.
- awake, aware
Were you conscious after the fall?
- sincere, faithful
She is such a conscientious student.
- organized group of people
I want to join the peace corps.
- human or animal body
- n: worthy of contempt, despicable
It was a comtemptible act.
- V: expressing contempt or disdain
She was contemptuous of the chairman.
- assembly or group
- member of assembly
- v: advise, recommend
- n: adviser
- goverment representative with State Department
- cover up
She covered up the paintings.
- cover -up
- n and adj:
She wore her swimsuit cover-up to the lake.
- violation of governmental law
- violation of religious law
- violation of moral law
Authorities said damge from the storm would total more than 1 billion.
- awarded by a courst as compensation for injury, losss, etc
the woman received 25000 in damages.
- competent, having good qualities
He's a decent person.
- ancestry, drop, fall
We made the descent down the mountain.
- to disaggre
I dissent with the arguments she made.
- discord, lack of harmony
- to reduce drastically especially in number; to destroy a small part of
- Do not use _ in replace of decimate?
- destruction because that is total
- v: to abandon
- the food
The brown dominant gene showed up in the kids.
- v: The cats dominated the soccer game.
- a contest between two persons
- great, famous
- to occur shortly
- a right to do or have something
She was entitled to the promotion.
- do not confuse entitle with
- pass out
- fake, pretned
- for letters
- surround, enclose
- weather, an event
- menu, cost
the fare is 5 bucks.
- phsyical distance
We must go farther up the mountain.
- extension of time or degree
- to embarrass or disturb
That boy did not even faze her.
- denotes an aspect or stage
The first phase will begin tomarrow.
- refers to individual items
We had fewer students than the other class.
- refers to bulk or quantity
We had less wine than the table next to us.
- concluding act
- finalize should...
- NEVER BE USED
- slang for a press agent
- a type of anti-aircraft fire,
- The Western Flyer
- follow up
- v: You need to follow up on all those meetings.
- N: We will have a follow-up meeting in a week.
- to mock, scoff, show disdain for
- display ostentatiously or conspicuously
- begininning of a book
- to move ahead
- forward NOt
- formal manner
i formally invivte you to a ball.
- offensive, out of line
- a bird
- full time
He works full time.
You need to get a full-time job.
- fund raising
- V: Fund raising is hard.
They planned a fund-raising campaign.
- a building for planes
- used for clothes
- barrier to leap over
- to rush suddenly with violence
- to accuse or bring charges aginst
- impeach can not be interchanged with
- come into
We immigrated to France.
- leave from
We emigrated from Ireland.
- range or rate of occurrence
The incidence of rabies was great in 1998.
The two incidents led to his dismissal.
- assume, draw from
- suggest, signify
the speaker implies that you should eat.
- suggest, usually negative or unflattering
- regardless NOT
- succedding at another time.
I'll do that later.
- second of two
She will be the latter in the preformance.
- you climb it
- in learning
- a false publication as in writing, print, signs or pictures that damages a person's reputation
The newspaper was charged with libel by a political candidate
- likely, responsible for
If you dent to rental car, you are liable for the damange.
- a prayer
- litany NOt
I gave her the loan.
Did you lend Katie 50 bucks?
- takes pluarl verb.
The media drives me crazy
- singular of media
- to be sick
I was nauseated this morning.
- sickening or disgusting
That is the most nauseous thing i've ever seen.
- military supplies, weapons
You need a part-time job.
- part time
Do you work part time?
- self control
- clients of a doctor
- peel or strip, reduce
- percent is a word or %
- a word
- outlook, mental view
- v: to gaze intently or steadily.
She pored over the books
- to flow in a continuous stream
it poured rain
- compliment, flatter
- siezing upon, plundering
- before, in advnace of
- to move ahead
- first in rank
- first public preformance
- a false show, an overt act to conceal personal feelings
His profuse compliments were all a pretense.
- something put forward to coneal the truth, an excuse
He was fired for tardiness, but this was only a pretext for incompetence.
- chief, number one, school principal, banking
- basic doctrine, fundamental truth
- salary, move upwards
- tear down, lay level with the ground
the building was razed to build a new one.
- children are reared or raised
- aniamls are raised but not reared
- recur NOt
- to disprove
- refute is not a synonym for
- denied or disputed
- unwilling to act
- unwilling to speak
- each to each
- showing deference, with regard
- room numbers
- Room 2
- waste matter
- the drainage system
- When talking about ships or nations which pronoun do you use?
- writing paper
- not moving
- law, regulation
- quality of being impressive, exhalted
- momument, sculpture
- tempt, dare
You must Login or Register to add cards