Glossary of Introduction to Sociology 191
Other Decks By This User
- Social Enivornment
- Contact with others
- Process of learning the ways of society.
- Looking-Glass self
- Our sense of self developes from interaction with others
- Take the role of the other
- To put yourself in someone elses shoes
- Signifigant others
- Individuals who signifigantly influence ones lives
- Generalized Other
- Our perception of how people in general think of us
- Is the self as a subject
- is theself as an object
- The sensorimotor stage
- Direct contact with enviornment
- Preoperational stage
- Develope ability to use symbols
- Concrete operational stage
- Reasoning abilities begin to be concrete
- Formal operational stage
- Capable of abstract thinking
- Inborn drives that cause us to seek self-gratification
- Balancing force between the id and the demands of a society that surpress it.
- The culture within us.
- Peer group
- Individuals of roughly the same age who are linked by common interest.
- Mass media
- forms of communication that are directed to large audiences
- Social inequality
- Giving privlages and obligations to ones groups of people while denying them to another. Think gender.
- Agents of Socialization
- People and groups that influence our orientations to life-our self concept, emotions, attitudes, and behavior
- Anticipatory socialization
- Learning to play a role before entering it.
- Learning new norms, values, attitudes, and behaviors to match there new situations in life.
- Degradation ceremony
- An attempt to remake the self by stripping away the individuals current identity and stamping a new one in its place.
- Life Course
- Different stages of life beginning with life, and ending with death.
- transitional hood
- Young adults gradually ease into audlt responsibilities.
- Gender socialization
- sorting males and females into different roles-is the primary means of controlling human behavior.
You must Login or Register to add cards