Glossary of Intro to Psychology Quiz 1
Created by epb34433
Other Decks By This User
- scientific study of human behavior and mental processes
- goals of psychology
- description, explanation, prediction, influence
- goal is to ID and classify behaviors and mental processes as accurately as possible
- goal is to propose reasons for behaviors and mental processes
- goal is to offer an educated guesses about how a given condition or set of conditions will affect behaviors and mental processes
- goal is to use the results of research to solve practical problems that involve behavior and mental processes
- founders of psychology
- watson, freud, maslow and rogers, miller
- Study of behavior (by observation). Behavior is determined by factors of the environment.
- Watson: Behaviorism
- Individuals do not consciously control their thoughts, feelings and behavior; these are instead determined by unconscious forces
- Freud: psychoanalysis
- focuses on the uniqueness of human beings and their capacity for choice, growth and psychological health.
- Maslow and Rogers: Humanistic psychology
- Humans are active participants in their environment. They alter and shape their experience.
- Miller: Cognitive
You must Login or Register to add cards