Glossary of Definitions for 31-60 of The 91 List
Created by jtondagrind
- the same kind of constituent elements, or being similar in nature
- Hubris (n)
- excessive pride or arrogance
- charge a serving government official with serious misconduct while in office
- with the identity disguised or hidden, for example, under an assumed name
- certain, undeniable, and not open to question
- Inculcate (v)
- to fix something firmly in somebody’s mind through frequent and forceful repetition
When my father was a student, his teachers inculcated him to write with his right hand because being left handed was bad.
- Infrastructure (n)
- the system according to which a company, organization, or other body is organized at the most basic level
- Interpolate (v)
- to add something, often something unnecessary, between the existing elements or items of something else.
Mookie interpolated worthless information during the important political discussion.
- Irony (n)
- a type of humor based on using words to suggest the opposite of their literal meaning
- Jejune (adj)
- uninteresting and intellectually undemanding
- Kinetic (adj)
- to, caused by, or producing motion
- formerly, in China, to kneel and touch the forehead to the ground in order to show respect, awe, or submission. Now it means to overly show respect, awe or submission.
- Laissez Faire
- “hands off” policy with the government and businesses
- a reference book with an alphabetized listing of words and their meanings, especially one dealing with an ancient language
Rap lyrics are the lexicon of modern day youth.
- Lugubrious (adj)
- Mournful, dismal, or gloomy, especially to an exaggerated or ludicrous degree.
- Loquacious (adj)
- tending to talk a great deal
- Metamorphosis (n)
- a complete or marked change of physical form, structure, or substance
- Mitosis (N)
- the process by which a cell divides into two daughter cells, each of which has the same number of chromosomes as the original cell
- Moiety (n)
- either of the two parts, not necessarily equal, into which something is divided
- Nanotechnology (n)
- the art of manipulating materials on a very small scale in order to build microscopic machinery
- nihilism (n)
- The belief that destruction of existing political or social institutions is necessary for future improvement.
- A system of names used in an art or science: the nomenclature of mineralogy.
- Nonsectarian (adj)
- Not limited to or associated with a particular religious denomination.
- Notarize (v)
- To certify or attest to (the validity of a signature on a document, for example) as a notary public.
- Full of or exhibiting servile compliance; fawning.
- Oligarchy (n)
- A state governed by a few persons.
- omnipotent (adj)
- Having unlimited or universal power, authority, or force; all- powerful.
- art or study of correct spelling according to established usage.
- oxidize (v)
- To combine with oxygen; make into an oxide.
- Paradigm (n)
- One that serves as a pattern or model.
You must Login or Register to add cards