Glossary of Chapter 9 Vocabulary PT 1
Created by diamondzgirl99
Other Decks By This User
- The persistence of learning over time through the storage and retrieval of information.
- Flashbulb Memory
- A clear memory of an emotionally significant moment or event.
- The processing of information into the memory system-- for example, by extracting meaning.
- The retention of encoded information over time.
- The process of getting information out of memory storage.
- Sensory Memory
- The immediate, initial recording of sensory information in the memory system.
- Short-term Memory
- Activated memory that holds a few items briefly, such as the seven digits of a phone number while dialing before the information is stored or forgoteen.
- Long-term Memory
- The relatively permanent and limitless storehouse of the memory system.
- Automatic Processing
- Unconscious encoding of incidental information, such as space, time, and frequency, and of well-learned information, such as word meanings.
- Effortful Processing
- Encoding that requires attention and conscious effort.
- The conscious repetition of information, either to maintain it in consciousness or to encode it for storage.
- Spacing Effect
- The tendency for distributed study or practice to yield better long-term retention that is achieved through massed study or practice.
- Serial Position Effect
- Our tendency to recall best the last and first items in a list.
- Visual Encoding
- The encoding of picture images
- Acoustic Encoding
- The encoding of sound, especially words.
- Semantic Encoding
- The encoding of meaning, including the meaning of words.
- mental pictures; a powerful aid to effortful processing, especially when combined with semantic encoding.
- Memory aids, especially those techniques that use vivid imagery and organization devices.
- Organizing units into familiar, manageable units; often occurs automatically.
- Iconic Memory
- A momentary sensory memory of visual stimuli; a photographic or picture-image memory lasting no more than a few tenths of a second.
You must Login or Register to add cards