Glossary of Buddhism Vocabulary
Created by abadua1
- Anatta (anatman)
- "no self" or no enduring soul. No permanent essence.
- Anicha (anitya)
- Impermanence, constant flux or change.
- In Theravada Buddhism, a person who has reached nirvana.
- Bodhisattva: Mahayana Buddhism
- Being who is ultimately compassionate being. Forsakes nirvana until all reach it.
- The teachings of the Buddha.
- Meditation; focusing on the mind; sometimes focusing on the stages of a trance.
- Dukka (duhka)
- Suffering, frustration, sorrow, misery, pain.
- Compassion, empathy
- Plan/aerial view of a geometrical design. Useful for meditation to focus the mind.
- Symbolic hand gesture.
- Free from samsara (wheel of rebirth) and suffering (dukha).
- Deeper meditation state.
- Constant rebirth into another life.
- Law of cause and effect with respect to ones actions.
- Community of monks (bhikkus) and nuns (bhikkunis).
- Nothingness, emptiness. The plane of infinite potentiality.
- Three Baskets: 1.Vinayas (Rules and Guidelines of Sangha) 2.Sutra (Buddha's Teaching and Sermons) 3.Abhidharmas (Commentary and philosophical analysis of teachings).
- Freedom/liberation from Samsara and karma.
You must Login or Register to add cards