Glossary of Biology Chapter 3 Flash Cards
Other Decks By This User
- Atoms are the submicroscopic particles that make up all matter.
- This is what makes up all things in the universe; it takes up space and has mass.
- This is the science of matter.
- This is found at the core of an atom; it has mass that carries a positive charge.
- This is found at the core of an atom; it has mass that carry no charge
- These surround the core of the atom; they carry negative charges.
- These are pure substances that are made up of a single kind of atom, and cannot be separated into different substances.
- Atomic Number
- The number of protons in an atom.
- These are atoms that have the same number of protons and electrons, but a different number of neutrons.
- Shell or Energy Level
- The volume of space around a nucleus where electrons are most likely to be found.
- Since some atoms can share electrons, the interacting ones are called molecules. They can be made up of atoms of the same element or of different elements.
- These are molecules that are made up of different elements and atoms that have lost or gained electrons.
- These are atoms that have lost of gained electrons.
- Octet Rule
- This is one of the factors that determine wither a atom will interact with other atoms. It is the tendency of the energy level of electrons to be full.
- Chemical Bonds
- These are forces that hold atoms together.
- When atoms bond by sharing outer shell electrons.
- When atoms that have lost or gained electrons bond by attraction of opposing electrical charges.
- This means to “combine with oxygen.” It is when an atom loses an electron.
- This is the process of when an atom loses an electron.
- Redox Reactions
- Oxidation and reduction always take place at the same time, this is called redox reaction.
- Single, Double and Triple Bonds
- This refers to the number of electrons that are shared; the more electrons the harder the bonds are to break.
- Polar Molecules
- These are molecules that have opposite partial charges at different ends of the molecule.
- Hydrogen Bonds
- These are bonds that are between water molecules.
- This is a process of spontaneous ion formation.
- This is any substance that dissociates to form H+ ions when it is dissolved in water.
- This is any substance that combines of accepts H+, as OH ions do.
- PH Scale
- A scale based on the slight degree of spontaneous ionization of water.
You must Login or Register to add cards