Glossary of BioChem: Gluconeogenesis
Other Decks By This User
- About how many grams of glucose are used by humans every day?
How much of this goes to the brain?
-75% or 120g!
-20g to body fluids
- How many grams of glucose can glycogen store?
- What is Gluconeogenesis?
- -the synthesis of glucose from non-carbohydrate sources when it isn't available
- What are the major sites of gluconeogenesis and what percent do they contribute?
- -liver 90%
- What are the major substrates for gluconeogenesis?
-TCA cylce intermediates
- Glycolysis is irreversible, but gluconeogenesis can reverse them. What are the 4 new reactions?
- -conversion of pyruvate to phosphoenolpyrucate (2 steps)
-going from gructose-1,6-bisphosphate to fructose-6-phosphate
-removing the phosphate from glucose-6-phosphate
- For animals lacking mitochondrial PEP carboxykinase, how is OAA transported (what does this stand for)?
- -Oxaloacetate is transported by the malate shuttle after converting mitochondrial OAA to malate
- How does gluconeogensis reverse the phosphofructokinase reaction of glycolysis?
- -it isn't reversible so gluconeogenesis bypasses it with fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase
- In step three of gluconeogenesis, where it the enzyme Glucose-6-phosphatase found?
- -only in the liver, kidney, pancreas, and small intestine
- What are the individual energy requirements for gluconeogenesis?
- -2 ATP for pyruvate carboxylase
-2 GTP for PEP Carboxykinase
-2 ATP for Phosphoglycerate kinase
-2 NADH for glyceraldehyde-3-P DH
- What are the overall energy requirements for gluconeogenesis?
- -6 ATP and 2 NADH to synthesize one molecule of glucose
- Why is it important to control glycolysis/gluconeogenesis?
- -ATP would be hydrolysed for no purpose and wasted
*one cyle is oxidation of glucose, the other is for glucose synthesis
- What controls liver PFK-1?
*graphs a nice tapering arc
- What affect does Fructose-2,6-Bisphosphate have on glycolysis and gluconeogensis?
How does this work?
- -activates glycolysis
*F-2,6-P increase the inhibition of F-1,6-P by AMP
You must Login or Register to add cards